Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
BARUCH HASHEM!!
Previous  1  2

m in Israel

Post Sat, Oct 17 2015, 3:41 pm
Sanguine wrote:
Reading the posts here about how the war last summer wasn't such a big deal cause after awhile we knew the drill... You're all very Israeli now with a very short memory "It never rains in June" (except when it does Wink ) . Go back to the panicky posts on LII last summer. Nobody here was saying "No big deal". Everyone was jumpy then too. Go read some of the threads from then. This one is harder cause it's NOW. Everything is hard when you feel you have no control of your life. But people should realize that things are already more under control. There are already fewer attacks cause we're more prepared now. There are more police and army everywhere. People are more alert (no more texting while you wait for a bus). People are going out "armed", whether it's people taking their personal gun with them, carrying a stick, umbrella or pepper spray... At any attack some other citizens are prepared to jump in and help attack the terrorist. And everyone is looking.

People should go out in crowds with other people. Even stick to a stranger on the street who looks like he'd protect you. And get yourself protection (like pepper spray). You should feel in control (even if you're not always). This will pass and life will go back to normal, but for now. take control of your life

I disagree that we only think it is worse because it is NOW. Plenty of us during the war last summer were saying that we had not changed much in our daily lives. In fact one of the posters posting the most dramatic panicky comments on those threads (and lots of "inside" info about the mental health issues Israelis were dealing with as a result of those wars) turned out not to be such a reliable source. Wink

I know for myself, we basically went about business as usual, including traveling into Yerushalayim a few times during the summer. This past week we cancelled our usual Rosh Chodesh trip into Yerushalayim because after the terrible attacks on Tuesday we were just too jittery to go in on Wed. (and we were scared of road closings or the like preventing us from getting home). I am not saying the war was easy -- and certainly for those with family members in combat units it was a lot worse than this (my nieghbor had numerous relatives in various units involved in operations in Gaza and every day was a nightmare for her). But in general, I think that terror campaigns like this really impact the "man on the street"'s fear level when going about his daily life much more than that war did.

chaiz

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 1:32 am
m in Israel wrote:
I disagree that we only think it is worse because it is NOW. Plenty of us during the war last summer were saying that we had not changed much in our daily lives. In fact one of the posters posting the most dramatic panicky comments on those threads (and lots of "inside" info about the mental health issues Israelis were dealing with as a result of those wars) turned out not to be such a reliable source. Wink

I was wondering takeh if those posts had any truth to them. They were so depressing and was hoping they were exaggerated. Sad

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 1:38 am
chaiz wrote:
I was wondering takeh if those posts had any truth to them. They were so depressing and was hoping they were exaggerated. Sad
most definitely exaggerated.

etky

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 1:46 am
chaiz wrote:

There were some tall tales there in her posts but it was indeed a crazy time that came on the heels of the extremely distressing kidnapping and subsequent military operation (Shuvu Achim) in the area south of Jerusalem. It was a solid two month period of stress, despair, sadness and intense emotional involvement in what was going on, on several fronts. And for those who had loved ones in Gaza it was nothing less than a nightmare.
Still, this current period is one frought with a different type of fear - the kind that empties city centers and buses and makes one think twice before leaving the house.
I'm hoping that things are abating somewhat now.

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 1:54 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
no actual attacks, I think, but many many almosts.

There was rock throwing on the 443 but that almost never make the news

Sanguine

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 2:07 am
m in Israel wrote:

I know for myself, we basically went about business as usual, including traveling into Yerushalayim a few times during the summer. This past week we cancelled our usual Rosh Chodesh trip into Yerushalayim because after the terrible attacks on Tuesday we were just too jittery to go in on Wed. (and we were scared of road closings or the like preventing us from getting home). I am not saying the war was easy -- and certainly for those with family members in combat units it was a lot worse than this (my nieghbor had numerous relatives in various units involved in operations in Gaza and every day was a nightmare for her). But in general, I think that terror campaigns like this really impact the "man on the street"'s fear level when going about his daily life much more than that war did.
Just discussing - not arguing (I must be right Wink )... People in Yerushalayim (and some othe places) are very affected by this terrorism, but not everyone in the country. Someone in Herzliya (for example), will keep their eyes open when they see an Arab but it really won't affect their life. Last summer, you weren't SO brave going to Yerushalayim. But ask someone in Ashdod, Sderot... how their summer was. Fifteen seconds to run to a miklat basically was panic every time they walked out the door. Remember the commercial? - "Your baby is asleep in his crib - Your 3 yo is playing right outside your window and suddenly TZEVA ADOM!!. You have 15 seconds - which child will you grab?" People in the South actually moved for the summer (if they could). Their summer was unbearable. Each time we just saw Tzeva Adom on our screens they were grabbing kids and running for their lives. They didn't take their kids to the park all summer. Just 15 seconds. Imagine if you were in the bathroom while your kids played right outside the bathroom door and you heard a siren (sometimes you can't just jump off and run).

So maybe my assessment of the situation is NOW is wrong. But it depends where you live (or visit regularly).

m in Israel

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 2:15 am
etky wrote:
There were some tall tales there in her posts but it was indeed a crazy time that came on the heels of the extremely distressing kidnapping and subsequent military operation (Shuvu Achim) in the area south of Jerusalem. It was a solid two month period of stress, despair, sadness and intense emotional involvement in what was going on, on several fronts. And for those who had loved ones in Gaza it was nothing less than a nightmare.
Still, this current period is one frought with a different type of fear - the kind that empties city centers and buses and makes one think twice before leaving the house.
I'm hoping that things are abating somewhat now.

Yes. I did not mean to imply that the war wasn't awful emotionally -- just that the specific aspect of fear of going about daily activities that noosheen was describing in her daughter is often worse in these types of situations than in actual war -- as I think you said in an earlier post -- it is "intifada" type of fear rather than outright war type of fear. . .not that either is ok Crying

m in Israel

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 2:21 am
Sanguine wrote:
Just discussing - not arguing (I must be right Wink )... People in Yerushalayim (and some othe places) are very affected by this terrorism, but not everyone in the country. Someone in Herzliya (for example), will keep their eyes open when they see an Arab but it really won't affect their life. Last summer, you weren't SO brave going to Yerushalayim. But ask someone in Ashdod, Sderot... how their summer was. Fifteen seconds to run to a miklat basically was panic every time they walked out the door. Remember the commercial? - "Your baby is asleep in his crib - Your 3 yo is playing right outside your window and suddenly TZEVA ADOM!!. You have 15 seconds - which child will you grab?" People in the South actually moved for the summer (if they could). Their summer was unbearable. Each time we just saw Tzeva Adom on our screens they were grabbing kids and running for their lives. They didn't take their kids to the park all summer. Just 15 seconds. Imagine if you were in the bathroom while your kids played right outside the bathroom door and you heard a siren (sometimes you can't just jump off and run).

So maybe my assessment of the situation is NOW is wrong. But it depends where you live (or visit regularly).

True. But the post I was responding to was someone comparing Yerushalayim then to Yerushalayim now. Noosheen was trying to understand why her daughter found the situation now worse than the war 2 years ago. Her theory was it was a "cumulative effect". I was pointing out that although her daughter's reaction does sound a bit extreme (likely influenced by pp hormones), the concept that living through this is worse is NOT unusual. Obviously someone in Sderot had it much worse in Tzuk Eitan than now -- as did those with personal connections to soldiers in combat units in Gaza. But for her daughter living in Yerushalayim with young children, it is understandable that her fear level is higher now.

We actually had quite a few azakot here in Beit Shemesh in Tzuk Eitan -- and BH no attacks yet in this wave of terror. But mothers are carrying pepper spray with them to pick their kids up at gan. . .there is definitely a fear that exists that is of a different nature than what was then.

Smile1234

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 2:56 am
I live in J'lem and lived here last summer as well. It took me quite a few months to stop jumping at every sound thinking it was a siren... however now that I think back, at least then I had 90 seconds to get to safety, and yes this is very very scary! But I'm trying to just go about life regularly (I don't go out very much, but I don't take pepper spray with me when I pick up my son from gan either).

Sanguine

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 4:22 am
m in Israel wrote:
True. But the post I was responding to was someone comparing Yerushalayim then to Yerushalayim now. Noosheen was trying to understand why her daughter found the situation now worse than the war 2 years ago. Her theory was it was a "cumulative effect". I was pointing out that although her daughter's reaction does sound a bit extreme (likely influenced by pp hormones), the concept that living through this is worse is NOT unusual. Obviously someone in Sderot had it much worse in Tzuk Eitan than now -- as did those with personal connections to soldiers in combat units in Gaza. But for her daughter living in Yerushalayim with young children, it is understandable that her fear level is higher now.

We actually had quite a few azakot here in Beit Shemesh in Tzuk Eitan -- and BH no attacks yet in this wave of terror. But mothers are carrying pepper spray with them to pick their kids up at gan. . .there is definitely a fear that exists that is of a different nature than what was then.
You're right - This time is much harder for Noosheen's daughter. Last summer "someone else" handled the war for her. This time she's on the front line. In Israel you never know where the next danger is coming from. Things are scary for her now but most people in Yerushalayim aren't paralyzed with fear. Maybe she can call a trauma hotline to discuss her fears since they're really crippling her.

OT - Has anyone heard of anyone who actually used pepper spray against an attacker? Maybe it's just like a lucky charm. Carry it with you and you'll never actually need it.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 4:29 am
Then we could rely on the kipat habarzel, now we have to rely on Hashem... Or on ourselves and those around us- choose your emunah level.

etky

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 5:40 am
Sanguine wrote:
You're right - This time is much harder for Noosheen's daughter. Last summer "someone else" handled the war for her. This time she's on the front line. In Israel you never know where the next danger is coming from. Things are scary for her now but most people in Yerushalayim aren't paralyzed with fear. Maybe she can call a trauma hotline to discuss her fears since they're really crippling her.

OT - Has anyone heard of anyone who actually used pepper spray against an attacker? Maybe it's just like a lucky charm. Carry it with you and you'll never actually need it.

Really? Maybe not paralyzed, but the center of town and the shuk were relatively deserted last week (didn't you see the pictures in the media?), ridership on public transportation was down 30% and many business owners were complaining about the losses that they were absorbing because people were not out and about and buying. People were being very cautious as they went about their business and in a circumscribed manner.All over Israel, supermarkets that rely heavily on Arab labor were doing much less business than usual. Our own Rami Levy here in the Gush was very much affected.
My feeling is that people were reeling and in shock under the onslaught, holding their breath and waiting for the next blow - wherever it would strike. I think though that people will toughen up quickly as the situation becomes more and more under control and things should be back to normal soon because life goes on and the human psyche is incredibly adaptable.

November

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 5:49 am
Also people in Jm feel safer being at home. I know I do.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 6:24 am
etky wrote:
Really? Maybe not paralyzed, but the center of town and the shuk were relatively deserted last week.
People are staying out of the center of town and places like that but the whole country (or even Yerushalayim) isn't paralyzed and life is going on. The terrorists want to go out in a big boom. They'e attacking on busy streets where they're sure to get more than one person and get their face on the news. If I was them I'd go on a quiet street and stab a lone person walking home and get out of there. Tomorrow do the same a few blocks over. Now that would be scary, but they won't do that.

smily

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 7:55 am
Al tiftach Peh .....

Sanguine

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 8:01 am
smily wrote:
Al tiftach Peh .....
You think they read imamother? I should stop giving them ideas

pause

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 8:08 am
Just read this in the news and got my blood boiling
Quote:
Including alleged assailants, 41 Palestinians have been killed since the upsurge in violence began on October 1, while seven Israelis have died

Palestinians were killed while Israelis died. Got it?

happylife123

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 2:50 pm
unfortunately there was an attack in be'er sheva central bus station today...

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com......html
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics