Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Kasha and...?

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 4:47 pm
I have a box of kasha ("fine granulation") and not sure what to do with it. Cooking instructions are on the box but what do you serve it with? Do you do something with it to dress it up? Tips for the uninitiated, please!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 4:57 pm
Do you have pasta, like bow tie noodles?

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 5:02 pm
I like it with mushrooms.

Kitten

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 5:02 pm
Any type of vegetable and spices go well with kasha. You can experiment a lot with it.
I personally love kasha with mushrooms and garlic.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 5:10 pm
Well, we do have some (whole wheat) pasta but the point of buying something grainy and different was because we're trying to move away from wheat and gluten. Not a fan of mushrooms, either, but thanks for the suggestion.

5mom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 5:14 pm
Roasted red pepper

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 5:27 pm
Saute lots of finely chopped onion in olive oil (use a little extra oil) until starting to brown. Prepare kasha as directed (I like 1/2 vegetable broth, 1/2 water, rather than plain water), adding onions in oil along with water/broth and salt and pepper. Serve as is, or with almost anything. Yum! (It also freezes well; you can make the whole box and freeze half).

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 5:35 pm
Thanks for the tips!

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 5:36 pm
My box has a chili recipe that sounds interesting. I might just try it next week. Thanks for the idea!

srbmom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 6:03 pm
overtimecook.com has a yummy recipe!

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 6:08 pm
an oldie but goodie ... kasha mit varnishkes

gittelchana

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 12:01 am
seeker wrote:
I have a box of kasha ("fine granulation") and not sure what to do with it. Cooking instructions are on the box but what do you serve it with? Do you do something with it to dress it up? Tips for the uninitiated, please!

Meat.

yogabird

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 12:08 am
It's yummy as a breakfast cereal, drizzled with a little maple syrup or honey.

You can mix it with sauteed onions and chickpeas for a complete protein main dish. It's also delicious cooked together with chicken so it absorbs the flavors of the chicken.

tweety1

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 4:33 am
Cook it with chicken! Yum!!!

Hashemlovesme1

Post Tue, Oct 20 2015, 10:14 pm
I know this isn't a recent post... But how would you bake kasha with chicken? It sounds yummy, but what else would you put on the chicken? Does it need added water on the bottom if pan?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes