Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Keeping potato kugel warm for a kiddush

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 9:06 am
We're iy"H making a baby kiddush in our home this Shabbos and we're thinking about serving potato kugel. The last time we made a kiddush, we followed instructions to keep the kugel warm by keeping it in a 250 degree oven from the beginning of Shabbos along with a pan of water to hydrate it. The kugel burned and most of it was inedible. Does anyone have ideas how to keep kugel warm for Shabbos morning without burning? (My Rav holds we can't put it on a hotplate on Shabbos.) If we don't have a good way we'll just skip it--but it would be nice to have because the weather is cool.

Also, if I want to put out a whole pan of kugel (rather than cutting pieces and putting out on a tray--less labor intensive during the kiddush), any ideas what to put it on/in so it looks presentable?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
We're iy"H making a baby kiddush in our home this Shabbos and we're thinking about serving potato kugel. The last time we made a kiddush, we followed instructions to keep the kugel warm by keeping it in a 250 degree oven from the beginning of Shabbos along with a pan of water to hydrate it. The kugel burned and most of it was inedible. Does anyone have ideas how to keep kugel warm for Shabbos morning without burning? (My Rav holds we can't put it on a hotplate on Shabbos.) If we don't have a good way we'll just skip it--but it would be nice to have because the weather is cool.

Also, if I want to put out a whole pan of kugel (rather than cutting pieces and putting out on a tray--less labor intensive during the kiddush), any ideas what to put it on/in so it looks presentable?

What I do is to pour about half a cup of water (for a 9 x 13 pan) on top of the cold, cooked kugel, then wrap it very tightly and leave it overnight in a 250 degree oven. Comes out great, but may not be able to be cut into pieces. More to be spooned out. Make sure the kugel is also not very thin -- it should be on the thicker side.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 12:36 pm
Pour water on top. Needs to be covered very tightly. Put a pan of water underneath.
U can leave the oven on 200

lkwdmommy

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 12:38 pm
250 is too high. Try 210 max. And be sure the kugel is tightly covered.

lfab

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 1:07 pm
Not sure if they would still have it, but before yom tov in Amazing Savings they had this tray that almost looked like a sterno pan. It was meant to put a foil pan into to serve it so that it looked a little nicer. It looked almost like a filigree metal sterno pan. It was only meant for serving not keeping food warm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics