Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Who pays for the prizes?

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 6:57 am
The parents are demanding I give the boys prizes for their work. They are used to it from the rebbes. They want them to work for good prizes. Please tell me the norm in your school.

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 7:20 am
I really think it depends on your feelings about creating a token economy in your class. If you want to create such a thing, the students tend to work for the extrinsic motivation only - thats your call. And btw its one of the problems with the rebbe style of learning imo.

Usually teachers have to use their own money as prizes. Rebbes can use their
maaser money for this. Its a shailah if a secular teacher can.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 8:27 am
My ds teacher sent home a note stating that she is going ro make a prize store a few times a year, and a grand raffle at the end. She requested that the parents donate prizes. She sent home a note before every prize store day. Alot of parents were thrilled by how motivated, well behaved our boys were, and they really learned. Alot of prizes were donated. From remote control cars to small lego sets and even yoyos. The teacher put a price on every prize.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 8:54 am
Y not ask around to other co workers and ask if the administration chips in?
Many schools give teachers a budget for classroom expenses.

vicki

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 8:59 am
I found that when teachers went to the principal asking for money and they explain how they will use it, often they were granted some budget.
The teachers that didn't know this would pay from their own pocket. And be upset when they heard from the rumor mill that others received some funds.

sourstix

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 11:28 am
just be careful on how you use the prizes. I find that my kids ask me after a while. so what prize will I get wheny I do this? and so I stopped. only for learning or they did something strenuous. I find that children need to find inner satisfaction when they work hard and get it done. that is something that needs to be taught eventually. I guess in the begining its ok. but I think its a tight balance. what do you say. what has been your experience?

smss

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 1:06 pm
sourstix wrote:
just be careful on how you use the prizes. I find that my kids ask me after a while. so what prize will I get wheny I do this? and so I stopped. only for learning or they did something strenuous. I find that children need to find inner satisfaction when they work hard and get it done. that is something that needs to be taught eventually. I guess in the begining its ok. but I think its a tight balance. what do you say. what has been your experience?

Huge conundrum.
Alfie Kohn has a great book on this- Punished by Rewards. He quotes lots of studies that show how using reward systems diminishes intrinsic motivation.
The question is, what if the intrinsic motivation already isn't there?
Also - if we are going to expect kids to be intrinsically motivated to learn, we'll need to ensure that everything that is being taught is purposeful in a way that kids can understand. Which certainly isn't the case now, and I don't know if it's entirely possible to make it the case.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics