Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Have you used PCIT therapy?

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 6:31 am
This type of therapy was recommended to us for our child. Have you had good or bad experiences with it?

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 6:51 am
I Googled the acronym, because I hadn't heard it before, but when I read about it, it sounded very similar to work we have done with our DS's therapist.

I believe there is compelling evidence that changes in parenting technique can do more for a child's behavior and outlook than years of being sent to a therapist.

It makes a lot of sense, and can really help. The two components are child directed playtime with parents (which we term one-on-one time), where the child's ideas, actions, and qualities are affirmed and celebrated aloud for a period of time every day; and learning effective parent direction, where certain techniques are taught, with the emphasis on frequent, effective praise and attention, how to make sure your directions are heard and understood, how and when to withdraw attention for misbehavior, and, for egregious moments, what consequences work best to keep the growth in a positive direction.

I have nothing but positives to say about our experience with our similar approch, though I am not sure it is absolutely identical to this one.

For me, one of the best parts, in addition to my own learning, was getting DH to start comng on board. (He and I had to do parent training together, and he has really come a long way.)

Hope this helps!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)