Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What are Lamed-Vavniks ? Do we know of any?
Previous  1  2

gryp

Post Wed, Dec 27 2006, 9:39 am
Quote:
The story above is one of those touching stories you can never forget, nor would anyone want to!

you should read the rest of them. Smile

Motek

Post Sat, Dec 30 2006, 9:16 pm
The Gemara in Tractate Succah states that the entire world stands on the merit of the "36 Tzaddikim".

interesting number: we light 36 candles on Chanuka, 36 hours Adam and Chava were in Gan Eden

Motek

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 3:34 pm
from a letter of the Lubavitcher Rebbe

Quote:
2 Sivan, 5709 [1949]
Greetings and blessings,

I was happy to read your letter about the powerful and positive impression the description - in the Memoirs [of the (previous) Lubavitcher Rebbe] - of Benyamin Wolf and the other hidden tzaddikim [righteous] made on the Jews in your shul [synagogue].

You should have pointed out two lessons in particular that every one of us - and they - should learn from these stories:

With regard to others: Whenever we meet another Jew, we must always remember that even though he appears to be a very simple person, and even perhaps on a lower level, I.e., that he is not dutiful in his observance and the like, we can never be sure of who he is in truth and what his inner dimensions are. For there were always - and there are today - hidden tzaddikim among the Jewish people: many, many more than 36 [I.e., there is a common tradition that there are always 36 hidden tzaddikim in the world at any one time upon whose merit the world relies.] of them. Therefore we have to look upon [every person] in a favorable light, being careful regarding his honor, and trying to do him a favor to whatever degree possible.

With regard to oneself: Each one of us has hidden potentials, which - were he only to have a strong desire to use them - will enable him, with G-d's help, to reach the highest peaks. For when a Jew connects himself to G-d Who is infinite through the Torah and its mitzvos [commandments], he has the potential to break through all limitations. In this context, our Sages say: "A person is obligated to say: 'When will my deeds reach the deeds of my forefathers: Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.'"

(from "I Will Write it in Their Hearts" translated by R' E. Touger)

amother

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 5:04 pm
Charlie the button man, and my father .
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics