Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Advice re. Gown Styles, and Lakewood ladies gown rental/store?

L K

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 10:34 pm
What is an affordable place to find adult gown for rent, rental or gemach, or to buy in and around Lakewood? If dept store- could you suggest brands and /or styles? I know about Macy's and other stores but can't figure out what is dressy enough that could be worn with a shell.

Thanks!!

L K

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 9:01 am
Anyone?

sky

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 9:20 am
My sister-in-law ordered a few gowns from macys, lord and taylor, and JcPenney(??) online and then returned everything she didn't keep. It was the easiest and there was a big selection.

The one she kept was a chiffon jumper with a beaded waist and beaded kneck. She got a matching shell and it looked like something from a rental, just much cheaper.

I think it was under $140.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 10:27 am
My sister went to Nordstrom and tried on a bunch of gowns there. She bought a rose colored Chiffon jumper gown with pretty pleating detail, and got a matching shell for it locally. She spent around $150, and it's now hers to re-use or rent out.

L K

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 10:29 am
Do you think I can wear chiffon in two weeks though?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 10:34 am
L K wrote:
Do you think I can wear chiffon in two weeks though?
Nowadays I see chiffon in December! It depends on the color and style.

L K

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 10:36 am
Alright, I hope the heat will keep me warm ))

What kind of necklines would look ok with shells? High round necks and v-necks?

sourstix

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 10:38 am
I wonder whats the best gemach here in lakewood. but I am not looking for something gown length. I dont know how to explain what length it is. I guess regular length? and how do they go for? what colors are in now? I would like a chiffon. anyone?

L K

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 10:44 am
Btw, is it dressy enough to wear a chiffon skirt and a taffeta top to a chasunah? It just seems hat everyone wears dresses and gowns now, like it used to be that suits were in style years ago.

kollel wife

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 11:17 am
When you say best in Lakewood, do you mean best prices, selection??

Augenbraun has beautiful things, but expensive. I did well as mother of the chosson at Friedman near Ger Bais Medrash on 10th Street, was not looking to spend a lot, and was trying to hide extra weight which worked well with a two piece.

sky

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 12:33 pm
sourstix wrote:
I wonder whats the best gemach here in lakewood. but I am not looking for something gown length. I dont know how to explain what length it is. I guess regular length? and how do they go for? what colors are in now? I would like a chiffon. anyone?

I believe these are the adult gown g'machs.
Cohen ZBP Dress Gmach
Kanarek Gown Gemach
Gemach Zichron Gittel

I've only used Cohen. It was very cheap. Responsible to bring to dry cleaning and pay separately.
I remember only seeing floor lenght, but this was a long time ago.

L K

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 3:25 pm
L K wrote:
Btw, is it dressy enough to wear a chiffon skirt and a taffeta top to a chasunah? It just seems hat everyone wears dresses and gowns now, like it used to be that suits were in style years ago.

simerhung like this:

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 9:05 pm
What is your relation to the Chosson/Kallah?

L K

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 9:10 pm
Chayalle wrote:
What is your relation to the Chosson/Kallah?

Very good friends with kallah's parents and the whole family; the closeness is somewhat increased for the lack of family. I guess in the ffb world it would be like close cousins.

I got my girls real gowns (from belle and bow- thank you, Chayalle!) and am totally confused about my own outfit.
Kallah's mother has already asked me whether I had gotten a dress, and I am always afraid to overdress and always end up underdressing!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 20 2015, 9:55 am
That top looks fine, then. If you wish, you can get a long skirt to go with it. I wore something like that to my nephew's Bar Mitzva - a satin black jacket, with a long black satiny skirt. Come to think of it, if you are a size 8 you would be quite welcome to mine. It's been a while since I fit into it.

L K

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 9:52 pm
Chayalle wrote:
That top looks fine, then. If you wish, you can get a long skirt to go with it. I wore something like that to my nephew's Bar Mitzva - a satin black jacket, with a long black satiny skirt. Come to think of it, if you are a size 8 you would be quite welcome to mine. It's been a while since I fit into it.

Chayalle, that's really nice of you to offer.
It would be worth to borrow the skirt just for the sake of meeting you irl ))
It's not my size though so I'll have to snatch another opportunity to meet you iy"H (are they making a Lakewood meet ever?)

Thanks for all the advice. I'll have that in mind. In the meantime, I unexpectedly got a really dressy top (dh bought something that might have fit one of the girls as a dress - but it's gonna be my top!!).

It's way nicer than the top upthread.
The only question now is whether it's total faux pas to wear a not floor-length outfit at a wedding? The top is flairy and goes well with a longer pencil skirt.

mommyla

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 10:16 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My sister went to Nordstrom and tried on a bunch of gowns there. She bought a rose colored Chiffon jumper gown with pretty pleating detail, and got a matching shell for it locally. She spent around $150, and it's now hers to re-use or rent out.

I did the same thing. Check out Adrianna Papell on Nordstrom - pretty, lots of options, affordable, and you can order online and return in-store if that's easier for you.

ETA: just saw your latest post. If you're not immediate family, it's totally fine to go with a short outfit as long as it's dressy enough for your relationship.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 11:22 am
mommyla wrote:
I did the same thing. Check out Adrianna Papell on Nordstrom - pretty, lots of options, affordable, and you can order online and return in-store if that's easier for you.

ETA: just saw your latest post. If you're not immediate family, it's totally fine to go with a short outfit as long as it's dressy enough for your relationship.
If you like a particular gown from Adrianna Papell and you know your size, search for it on ebay. My younger sister bought herself a gown that way - she had tried on a similar one from a friend and knew her size, and she found it on ebay for under $50.

L K

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 12:06 pm
I'm between sizes now, prob will check something that an acquaintance has.
Or just get her OK for my outfit.

I am so out of the loop that, as I probably said earlier, I always end up super underdressed for those rare occasions that I do attend.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics