Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO Broccoli Kugel that is chunky

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 1:17 pm
Does someone have a recipe for a broccoli kugel that does not involve pureeing the broccoli? I hate to spend so much only to have the broccoli not look like broccoli anymore. Thanks!

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 1:18 pm
Google Search for broccoli kugel from joy of kosher. Just made it last week, it was quite good

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 1:27 pm
I always just combined frozen broccoli with eggs and chopped onions and I think salt and pepper - it's been awhile since I made it, we aren't big kugel people, but I think it always turned out well.

lucky14

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 1:46 pm
I don't see why it wouldn't come out just as yummy without pureeing. I always make broccoli souffles with broccoli that I just chop up a bit.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 1:54 pm
This is great
http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....el-2/

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 1:57 pm
Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 5:38 pm
Make sure you use lite mayo, not full fat, for this specific recipe.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 6:04 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Make sure you use lite mayo, not full fat, for this specific recipe.

Ooc, may I ask why? I just made it last week using canola oil mayo (not lite) and it tasted fine. What would be different if I had used lite?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 6:39 pm
Try it with lite. You'll notice the difference. This particular recipe too heavy with full fat.

pointyshoes

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 6:53 pm
This was delicious and very easy and good for shalosh seudos also

1 onion, sliced
 4 eggs
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons
 salt and pepper to taste
2 (16 ounce) bags frozen chopped broccoli, thawed

Directions
Prep
10 m
Cook
1 h 45 m
Ready In
1 h 55 m
Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease an 8x8-inch baking dish.
Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking and stirring until the onion is very tender and dark brown, 15 to 20 minutes more. Set aside.
Beat eggs with mayonnaise, flour, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in broccoli and onion. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
Bake in the preheated oven until broccoli is tender, about 90 minutes

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 8:25 pm
More of a method than a recipe because it's very forgiving:
I usually use half a bag of broccoli and half a bag of cauliflower (24 oz bags, typically. 32 if having company. Or use one 24 oz bag of just one of them, and use the whole bag.)
Pour boiling water over it in a strainer to help it defrost faster
Preheat oven to hot or really hot, depending how close to Shabbos it is Wink (I guess about 425 should be good)
If the broccoli has some huge and some small pieces, I'll chop a little to make it more even/less huge pieces
Toss broccoli with olive oil, salt (~1 1/2 tsp to taste), pepper (just a sprinkle), onion powder and garlic powder (1/2 to 1 tsp, to taste)
Mix in 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs, if breadcrumbs not available then about 2 Tbsp flour, or skip, it's all good
Mix in 1 egg, if I've already made challah then I toss in what's left of the egg I brushed it with too, if no challah egg and I feel like extra protein and have enough eggs to spare then I put in another egg.
Line a pan with parchment paper (for a 24 oz bag I use the one that is one size smaller than 9x13. What is it, 8x11? I don't remember.) Press the broccoli mixture in. Spray the top with oil mister. Put in oven and bake until fork poke tells you it's soft. Top should be a little crispy but not brown yet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes