Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Making the most of screen time

Shoelover

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 3:43 pm
My three-year old has very limited screen time. When he does have it tho, what are good apps and tv shows?

Shoelover

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 6:05 pm
Anyone?

bigsis144

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 6:13 pm
PBS Kids (pbskids.org, as well as on netflix and amazon prime) has lots of great shows.

For a 3 year old, Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (social stuff, like sharing, washing your hands after using the bathroom, using your words when you're upset, etc.) Sesame Street (letters, numbers, vocabulary, social stuff), Peg + Cat (focus on math), Curious George (some science concepts) and Wild Kratts (animals) are our family's favorites.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 7:00 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
PBS Kids (pbskids.org, as well as on netflix and amazon prime) has lots of great shows.

For a 3 year old, Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (social stuff, like sharing, washing your hands after using the bathroom, using your words when you're upset, etc.) Sesame Street (letters, numbers, vocabulary, social stuff), Peg + Cat (focus on math), Curious George (some science concepts) and Wild Kratts (animals) are our family's favorites.

There's also Dora the explorer and Go Diego Go for that age.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 7:23 pm
my son loves elmos world series and LOVES daniel tiger. I save it for my desperate days because he can get obsessed. also loves raffi songs on youtube. I am trying to introduce new shows to him so he can get a variety but he always ask for Elmo and Daniel. Clifford, Barney, Thomas are also great

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 7:39 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
There's also Dora the explorer and Go Diego Go for that age.

That stuff is real junk. Sounds like amother is looking for something a level or two up.

cm

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 7:40 pm
Another vote for Clifford!

Instructional videos that come with appliances (either on disc or online) are a big hit with that age group.

My family also loved Israeli children's music videos and Hebrew-language videos.

Shoelover

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 8:23 pm
Thanks for the replies! I forgot about Daniel tigers neighborhood I will check that out. I don't particularly like Sesame Street, it makes me nervous for some reason.

What about apps?

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 8:05 am
Barney (if she watched that when she was younger she may not be that interested anymore but my 4 year old still loves re watching episodes with his younger siblings).

Daniel Tiger is not bad but it is irritating.

Handy Manny (teaches Spanish and handy stuff)

Clifford

Sesame Street

Super Why

Some of my kids liked Caillou but his voice is so so annoying for the adults in the room.

Cat in the Hat

IMO Curious George is just a bunch of silliness, I mean he doesn't even use real words.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 8:15 am
amother wrote:
That stuff is real junk. Sounds like amother is looking for something a level or two up.

Why junk? My kids learned a ton from them. Especially from Diego.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 8:44 am
My kids are older- 8.5 6.5 and 3.5- but when they are allowed to watch, they can watch anything on pbskids.org. I also let them watch jake and the never land pirates.

tovli toraspicha

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 8:46 am
any ideas for 3-4 year old to familiarize with Hebrew?

cm

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 9:13 am
tovli toraspicha wrote:
any ideas for 3-4 year old to familiarize with Hebrew?

Dig Dig Doog (Israeli music video series, with subtitles). Not designed for the religious market, so includes both men and women in secular-style dress, uncovered heads, etc singing together. We felt it was totally appropriate but I know some others on this site may disagree.

Hebrew Barney

Pinuki (Spot)

Bilingual Baby (IIRC), a language-learning series that has a Hebrew version. Does not show Hebrew letters - all subtitles are in transliteration - but clearly demonstrates a variety of nouns, simple verbs, sentences.

Ivrit B'shir, a music recording (not video), is truly excellent for introducing vocabulary words.

100 Shirim Rishonim - we enjoyed the music recording but the adults in the family couldn't stand the video. YMMV. Comes with a book with all the lyrics.

My family outgrew this phase quite a while ago, so there may be newer offerings as well.

Shoelover

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 12:02 pm
Thank you all for your replies!

das

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 5:24 pm
Little Einsteins (not to be confused with baby Einstein.)

gp2.0

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 7:25 pm
There's also umizoomi (shapes and counting) and super why (science). And Martha speaks.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 9:59 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
There's also umizoomi (shapes and counting) and super why (science). And Martha speaks.

Super Why is kind of reading and totally not science. I truly, truly loathe that show.

Sid the Science Kid is basic science.

Martha Speaks is vocabulary, but I think it's for kids older than 3. (Vocabulary words taught include accomplice, expert, coax, expand, astonish, supervise, opportunity, bizarre, fiction, deny, deceive, etc. Which I would totally use around my 3 year old if it came up in context, but I wouldn't specifically have them watch Martha Speaks since it may go above their heads.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics