Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What's a reasonable lunch for the cleaning lady?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 9:36 am
EmesOrNT wrote:
How is not serving multi course meals man you're treating your help like cr@p?

Some people.

I think the ones who say to cook the hot multi course lunches for the help aren't in the situation where they have to do it.

I need to make DH lunch 4 times a week. My leftovers go there when I have. I still have my lunch and all my suppers to prepare.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 2:58 pm
Whatever she brings. In my planet at least.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 3:12 pm
I am the type of person who works much better and gets more energy when I have something hot as opposed to a sandwich. Therefore, to me that would be basic. Not that it has to be a fancy fleishigs meal but at least mac & cheese as opposed to always a sandwich.

B"H I don't have such problems b/c I would never be able to afford a full day cleaning lady, the most I have ever had was a few hours , but I think a lot depends on the person.

If she is telling you she will work better if you give her a hot meal, y not try it?
Assuming you like her and trust her.

My mother's cleaner once asked for a Challah to take home and my mom gave it to her happily . The little things make a person feel good, help you have a relationship, and then she will want to make you happy.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 3:20 pm
mommyla wrote:
The Help, anyone?

My cleaning lady doesn't come to me at lunchtime, but I always ask her if she's had lunch and on the rare occasions that she hasn't, I'll give her a sandwich or some macaroni and cheese if she'd like. She's always welcome to cake, cookies, and drinks, and in the summer I'll usually offer her a popsicle or ice cream and sometimes send snacks home with her for her and her family. She is very grateful.

I would not cater to a cleaning lady who wants a hot lunch! Even I don't eat a hot lunch. If I did I'd make some for her too.

She only comes for a few hours a week, but I want to keep her happy.

Haha I was thinking of The Help too from lawngreen's post. Lawngreen I recognize you from your other posts- you have a very distinctive style. I can't help but notice that you have a way of taking the blessings in your life and turning them into angst-filled situations.

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 3:21 pm
amother wrote:
A few weeks ago my cleaning lady left either feces or blood on my freshly cleaned toilet seat. Yes, she was ill, but I was totally disgusted. Why turn the main bathroom into a public restroom when there is a perfectly acceptable alternative? Do you let everyone use the master bathroom if you have one? The concept of clean private toilets is not unique.

The clean toilet seat that she just cleaned for you?

I guess she must have been really sick - did you call her to check how she was? If she was in hospital? Help her seek medical attention? Ensure she hadn't collapsed?

Anyone who is so sick that she has an accident in their employer's bathroom and then isn't even well enough to clean it up (and I'm guessing she knows how you like your bathroom cleaned and she is the person who does it most frequently) is really very unwell.

Have you read The Help? Great novel. I highly recommend it, you seem like you have much in common with so many of the characters.

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 3:25 pm
PS my cleaner only comes for a couple of hours in the afternoon. She helps herself to hot or cold drinks. If I am home and cooking, I will always makesome to take home - soup or rolls or challa etc.

cbsp

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 11:50 pm
Raisin wrote:
Practical suggestion to the OP - if your cleaning lady is not happy with the provided lunch, ask her what she would like, buy the ingredients, and have her cook it.

Stocking up on ready to eat foods is a great idea. Pizza, knishes, blintzes, soups, veggie burgers, hot dogs, etc. She can take what she likes and heat it up.

I realize this was posted a few days ago. I feel obligated to mention that this could be a bishul yisroel issue that could lead to treif keilim even if all ingredients are kosher. Please AYLOR before implementing this advice.

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 7:21 am
cbsp wrote:
I realize this was posted a few days ago. I feel obligated to mention that this could be a bishul yisroel issue that could lead to treif keilim even if all ingredients are kosher. Please AYLOR before implementing this advice.

my cleaning lady knows she is not allowed to turn on any ovens or stoves.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 8:26 am
Frumdoc wrote:
The clean toilet seat that she just cleaned for you?

I guess she must have been really sick - did you call her to check how she was? If she was in hospital? Help her seek medical attention? Ensure she hadn't collapsed?

Anyone who is so sick that she has an accident in their employer's bathroom and then isn't even well enough to clean it up (and I'm guessing she knows how you like your bathroom cleaned and she is the person who does it most frequently) is really very unwell.

Have you read The Help? Great novel. I highly recommend it, you seem like you have much in common with so many of the characters.

Of course we checked on her after. She may have meant to clean up the toilet but forgot to. You shouldn't jump to conclusions. I didn't mention the bathroom incident because I didn't want to shame her. I also knew she was sick and gave her limited tasks and allowed her to work when she wanted. She had a D&C two weeks before and needs money. Her D&C was diagnostic and there is no need for further treatment. How's that for checking on her? I even spoke to an ob/gyn who didn't treat her because I didn't know about D&Cs being diagnostic and thought maybe I misunderstood.

My cleaning lady has limited intelligence. She forgets week to week how I like my bathrooms cleaned. This is not because she is a cleaning lady. There is something slow about this particular cleaning lady. She is pleasant and eager to please although I must show her repeatedly the same things. She forgets week to week. She honestly probably forget to clean up. She wasn't that sick she couldn't wipe a seat.

Unless I physically place what I want to give her on her pocketbook, she forgets. I sometimes place a picture on her pocketbook so she can remember if it is something that is refrigerated. She often forgets anyway.

DH discussed making a schedule with her. She can't read. Her sil worked for us two years before she had a baby. Her older sister had worked for me. Her brother worked for DH when he was between jobs. They all love us.

sequoia

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 8:55 am
Vintage you-know-who-you-are. Short sentences will little connection to each other, few conjunctions or prepositions.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics