Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler destroys everything! (Long)

amother
Green

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 3:18 pm
I am so frustrated I don't know what to do anymore. I debated between posting here and household management, but I figured I'd try here because my toddler is the reason the situation is so unbearable. Here goes:

We live in an apartment that is too small for our family size and have almost no built in storage. (Moving to a larger space is not an option right now.) We don't really have a lot of "stuff," but everything we do have needs a place. I have tried to create storage solutions by storing out of season items under beds, stacking toys on shelves in plastic bins, putting a small freestanding unit with pullout drawers in our (narrow) hallway for towels and hanging space on top for shirts/skirts/pants (no built in bedroom closets or linen closet to use). I hung hooks on the door in the kids' room for coats and backpacks.....
But my two year old destroys everything!!! What can I do? I tried hanging a basket near the dresser where DC's diaper is changed -- DC yanked it off the wall several times. DC pulls the fresh towels out of the "closet," throws the toy bins on the floor and spills the toys out... Pulls items out from underneath the beds... And most recently, I tried a three tiered rolling cart , but everything is constantly dumped out of there too! (I'm not even talking about "normal" messes like pulling food out of the fridge or cabinets and laundry out of the hamper)

What can I possibly do? All attempts at discipline are ignored or met with laughter. I know this is a stage which will eventually be outgrown, but this has been going on for months and I am losing my mind. How can I store items effectively? Out of reach isn't a solution. The rest of the family needs to be able to get a towel for a shower, or a fresh diaper for changing time, or shoes for school or toys for after school. And anyway, I can't exactly hang everything on the ceiling. However, in the current situation the house is a perpetual disaster zone and items keep getting misplaced or dirty for no other reason than a super-mischevious toddler. Help!

Delores

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 3:26 pm
I have the similar issues. I basically keep an eye on my kid. I also lock the bedrooms and kitchen. He still has access to stuff in the living room but I find the bedrooms and kitchen to be most prone to destruction.

belovedaz

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 3:52 pm
Sorry no advice but I have a wrecking ball of a toddler now too so can totally sympathize.

deams

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 6:06 pm
I have a 2 year old in the same stage. What about a baby gate to keep him in one room or put by the rooms that don't have doors. Good luck!

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 6:18 pm
He needs to get out and be run completely ragged and be brought home too tired to stand up. That's what's up with him. He needs physical outlet and stimulation. Your rebukes are read as attention because he wants that too.

He has no idea what your problem is. He has no idea why a towel should be here instead of there. Or what it's for. As far as he is concerned, the house is a play house or fun house. He's two! He's not Martha Stewart. He doesn't know what's up one bit. As he can't figure your point out, he can only laugh, as that usually brings nice feelings, doesn't it? That's all he has to work with at this age.

Have somebody take him outside. He needs roughhousing.

Have his father clamp him under one arm and dribble him to shul. He will screetch with joy. I saw a man wearing his boy around his neck by the legs with his head hanging down his back. The kid was mad with joy. Males. They are not like us.

That's all it is. Do this before you come to hate him. He's just being a normal little boy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics