Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Do I tell them or not?

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 5:05 pm
I teach preschool special-ed, I have a rather low-functioning class and though I thought I was doing fine considering the circumstances I've been facing--long story--I'm under the microscope at work this week and they are trying to decide whether or not I'm going to remain teaching this class. I have 3 days and then they will make their decision. Part of the reason I assume that they think I wasn't doing my utmost is I've been dealing with a sore throat on and off for a few weeks--and its really hard to teach w/a sore throat, so maybe I wasn't quite on top of my game. I have had "not-strep" so many times that I assumed that it would just go away, and it didn't. Since I'm under an ultimatum, and today it was kind of bad I stopped off at the doctor on the way home and sure enough--strep (this marks literally the 2nd time I've had it). The doctor said that she doesn't tell adults to stay home with strep, but my throat hurts and I just dont feel like talking. What do I do?

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 5:13 pm
That's a really tough position to be in. Does the doctor realize that you teach preschool? I was under the impression that strep is contagious until you're on antibiotics for 24 hours. I'm surprised to hear she doesn't tell adults to stay home, but I would think the fact that you teach preschool would change that.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 5:49 pm
Op here, I did mention that at the beginning of the appointment (it was a new PA at a familiar Dr's office), and when the "positive" result came up, I was like--"oh no, I have a 'deadline' at work" and she said that I can go. I'm afraid that if I tell them I have strep that they will tell me not to come and cancel this "experiment". This has been a crazy year regarding my health. In just a few weeks I've already had a bad cold, a stomach flu, and now strep--mind you last year I didn't take a single sick day except for one when I got a cold after coming back from maternity leave after 5 weeks.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 8:15 pm
Probably the thinking is that kids are likely to get their germs all over everything, while adults can hopefully be trusted more to wash their hands and cover their sneezes.

Working in childcare I would generally prefer to err on the safe side rather than pass germs to kids, but if you're at risk of losing your job over this one week then I'd go with the doctor's permission. Drink a lot of tea and have a spoon of raw honey WITHOUT the tea (or anything else) a few times a day/night. Bring lozenges with you to work and keep one in your cheek.

If you've already started antibiotics, your throat might even feel better by tomorrow. With strep throat it works really fast, usually. Though if your infection was hanging around for a while it might be tougher to beat.

And lesson learned for the future - a few weeks is too long to have a sore throat and not check it out.

STMommy

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 8:23 pm
If your employer is scrutinizing you, they may not look kindly at the fact that you came to work with a contagious illness. I made the mistake of thinking I was doing something good coming to work with strep, but everyone around me was (rightfully) quite annoyed that I was there.

edited to correct typo

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 8:33 pm
Sorry u are going thru this
I'm also a teacher and I did go in wen I had strep --I didn't tell the school -my Dr wrote me a note to take three days but I didn't give it in -- I only have a few sick days and attendance is important
. Yes I know ppl will say "but u can get everyone else sick!" My answer to that is that if schools are really concerned then let teachers have more sick days! And send kids home who are sick !! Who do u think I got sick from? The kids !!
So that's life !! In reality we can't do what's best for our health all the time because then a person can lose his job or a kid will be held BAC for bad attendance!!
. I just hope ur employer doesn't figure out u hav strep bec won't he be more upset???
Good luck n feel better
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics