Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Preemie Development - Help a nervous mom!
Previous  1  2

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 3:54 am
I have a 28 week preemie shes nearly 2 now and bH she seems to nearly have caught up. One thing I did learn is that warly intervention is great. Try and find exeecises to do with her to develop muscle strength. Lots of stimulation etc. There is a lot of worry and frustration but iyH you will see her develop and fit in with her peers. Hatzlocho

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 3:57 am
amother wrote:
Do you still think she's delayed or is she regular progress now?? Can you compare her to a regular second grader? And if yes when did she catch up... I also have a 33 week preemie he's a year old now... Thanks for the hope! Also when did she start walking??
She really caught up to most things by the time she was a year and a half. She walked a little bit after she was a year. She is a regular second grader. She was a regular 1st grader, a regular gan goer and all of that Smile
She actually had a problem with eating but nobody was absolutely sure if it had to do with her being preemie or not.
But BH she is really all caught up and she was all caught up a long time ago. You would never know that she was a preemie now.
The best story of a preemie I ever knew was a friend of mine's brother. He was born early, not sure how early. He weighed in at about a pound. In high school, BH, he was on the wrestling team Smile

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 4:03 am
amother wrote:
thank you all for taking the time to calm my nerves. To the amothers who had preemies - did you notice a lag in the beginning that then picked up?
Not really lag per say, just developing slower or at a different pace than one would think.
If you are worried, talk to your pediatrician. Dont worry so much. As one poster said, the MOST important thing to remember is that your baby is not the age s/he is but really subtract the amount of weeks that they should have still been in utero. That also makes a big difference.
And if your baby is still just a few weeks old, remember that they should even be swaddled as they really should still be utero and are lacking that secure feeling all around them (a doctor told me that) as well as kangaroo care is SOOO important to help preemies grow and develop.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 8:43 am
I find my year old preemie always sleepy/tired anyone have this? Is it normal or a concern?

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 9:58 pm
In their first years my preemies may have been slower than full term babies but were considered advanced for their adjusted age. Well my full term baby began walking at 18 months. Wink
Like a previous poster explained as they grow older the time frame for milestones widen so it all evens out together with their individual time frame.
Right now they are at the top of their class. Have won a range of competitions and prizes. And have even started keeping their room organized!!!! Very Happy
I really think if you do age adjustion and consider your baby that age your worries will calm down. You are not giving baby time for what it missed in utero! Oh yes and definitely swaddle still Hug
Why don't you read up on developmental milestones for preemies?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics