Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Such a Klutz

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 2:24 pm
I fell twice today while using crutches.
How many more time will I fall?
the second time I hurt my wrist.
I hope that nothing happened to it. shock

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 4:04 pm
Maybe you have fluid in your ear...it can cause the loss of balance...

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 4:59 pm
That doesn't make you a klutz. It makes you a normal person who has not yet become adept at walking on crutches.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 5:19 pm
Zaq.
Funny, I am almost using crutches now for five weeks. In addition, it's not my first time using crutches. Most likely not the last time. I had so many injuries already. I probably can't count.
Anyone interested in posting their klutzy stories is more then welcomed.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 5:41 pm
When was the last time you had your eyes checked by an eyecare professional? Poor vision is a well-known cause of falls. (Vision is much more than just being able to read a sign 20 feet away. Peripheral vision and depth perception, color perception, night vision, how well your eyes work together all play a part. Just going to DMV and reading the eye chart doesn't do it.)

So is poor housekeeping. Not dirt, but floors in disrepair, uneven walking surfaces, dim lighting, walking around in the dark, loose rugs, rumpled carpets, toys, shoes,papers or other stuff scattered on floors, too much furniture leaving too little room to maneuver, failure to wipe up spills (wet spills like water and dry ones like sugar or barley).

So is improper footwear. If you teeter around on spike-heeled mules or mile-high platforms, or shough around in flipflops, shame on you. Invest in some well-fitted closed-toe lace-ups or pumps with nonskid bottoms and low, broad heels.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 5:43 pm
Of course, if you suffer from cerebral palsy or a similar condition that affects your muscular coordination and balance, then all of the above are even more important than they are for a healthy person.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 5:50 pm
As usual, zaq is right. I've always been a huge klutz (the girl who accidentally kicked everyone in dance, who walked into things) and then suddenly I found out that I had an eye condition that had already affected my peripheral vision.

Good luck, though, and feel better!

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 9:18 pm
Oy, OP, how I rue the day I decided to buy ornate furniture for my bedroom that sticks out just so at hip level. I carry the bruises with me till today... every day...

I keep bumping and scraping and falling. If it would be just me underestimating how much space I need to get through a narrow space it would be one thing. But my poor kids... If I carry a baby or toddler I have to remember to cushion them from the bangs and bumps that I cause them.

I think it is a depth perception issue, but I didn't think there was anything to be done about that.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 12:03 am
amother wrote:
Oy, OP, how I rue the day I decided to buy ornate furniture for my bedroom that sticks out just so at hip level. I carry the bruises with me till today... every day...

I keep bumping and scraping and falling. If it would be just me underestimating how much space I need to get through a narrow space it would be one thing. But my poor kids... If I carry a baby or toddler I have to remember to cushion them from the bangs and bumps that I cause them.

I think it is a depth perception issue, but I didn't think there was anything to be done about that.

Oh gosh, I have this - somehow (I didn't choose any of them really, we didn't buy any of our furniture new, it was always what was available at the time) we ended up with all the chairs in the house having pointy-edged backs that stick out. And really hard, too. I once landed in the ER with a concussion because I swooped down to pick something off the floor without realizing a chair corner was in the way. BONGGGG! OMG. B"H the scar eventually disappeared.

Now my kids are starting to bump the chairs and I don't know whether it's their size or a coordination problem but it is definitely time for friendlier chairs.

The issue is that I do this with doorknobs pretty often too. I guess when I remodel my home we'll get rounded doorknobs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics