Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Laundy help. where can I find someone for it?

momwifedaughter

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 10:00 am
I need someone to do my laundry once a week. thats washing drying folding and ironing, only now in pregnancy. where can I find someone that could do such work?

momoftwo2

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 10:22 am
Most laundromats offer this service

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 10:22 am
That depends where you are located. Smile

momwifedaughter

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 10:29 am
ha! brooklyn

momwifedaughter

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 10:30 am
need in my house someone.. taking shlepping wiating wouldnt solve my issue. thx anyways

morah

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 10:33 am
If you're in Brooklyn, there should be laundromats that will pick it up and bring it back. It's a common service in the city, so I imagine there are places in Brooklyn that do it.

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 10:55 am
Cleaning women do laundry if you want them to. In my experience, as long as you pay for the hours, they will do,whatever household work you require. Some are more skilled ironers of course

Back in the olden days, my Bubbe had a girl who came for the day and in the afternoon, she did the ironing and in the morning the more physical jobs. Or polish the silver or another infrequent easier type of job to fill out the day But now people generally hire only for real cleaning and not for other stuff unless its the housekeeper who comes frequently.

But any cleaning woman would do wash of you pay for the hours. Or what about a high school girl since the job isn't complicated or difficult.

mha3484

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 11:32 am
I live on the top of a two flat, not so many stairs to the laundry but when I asked the cleaning woman to do it she looked at me like I had two heads. One wanted me to pay extra for that service so its not a give in.

imamothertoo

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 11:44 am
My lady does laundry all the time. Any cleaning lady in their right mind would rather fold laundry than scrub toilets and ovens and vacuuming

mha3484

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 11:46 am
I found that in an apartment bldg some don't want to go up and down the stairs. If I washed it myself but left it in the hamper they were happy to fold and put away.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 11:48 am
Hire a cleaning woman with experience in this. Many are experienced and do a great job.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Nov 04 2015, 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 11:51 am
If you have a cleaning lady, hire her for an extra 2-3 hours to get all the laundry done. They all do laundry. You just might have to show them how you want things washed the first time.

I have a large home, 4 kids and cleaning help for 6 hrs a week. I do all the washing and she unloads the dryer and folds. Often I'll tell her there's a load in the machine that needs to go in the dryer. By now she knows what I hang and don't dry. She leaves neat piles and I put away. She only irons when there's time or if I know that I need a few things I'll just ask her to irom just those item. If I had more hours she would put away and iron more often.

When I lived in Brooklyn, I used a laundry service that picked up and they delivered everything folded. That was about 12 years ago. The laundry never had a fresh, clean smell but everything looked clean. I think I looked in the yellow pages when I was looking for a free pick up laundromat.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 12:04 pm
I have used a laundry service with pick up and delivery during a chaotic period.
Everything comes back neatly folded and ready to put in the drawers.
But I would not send clothes, only underwear, socks (only if you put them in net bags or in pairs with clips), pajamas, towels and linen. Everything is put in the dryer, the detergent doesn't smell as good as yours, and no pretreating is done. That's why I never sent actual clothes.
But it is a lifesaver when needed if you're OK with how it will come back.

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 12:33 pm
I am sure there is a cleaning woman who is willing to do laundry even if they have to do a few stairs or take the elevator. I see cleaning women all the time in my building with the laundry baskets taking the elevator. There are washers/dryers on each floor and some people even have in their homes. But the cleaners don't work the whole day so they want to put all the loads in at the same time so they will go to different floors for multiple loads.

And many people live in two story apartments in Brooklyn (or elsewhere) and the cleaning ladies will do the wash even if they have to shlep to the basement.

There are many who would prefer doing the wash to other less pleasant tasks - I would rather do laundry than clean toilets, scrub floors, clean down a stove or many more difficult physically grueling tasks.

Not that I don't believe people, but I find it astounding that someone would rather scrub a toilet than take a load down a fight of stairs. LOL

momwifedaughter

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 2:51 pm
Thanks for your replies! I didnt know laundromats fold too. thats my main issue.

Ill try a cleaning lady for more hours first, if that doesnt work out then ill just open the book for laundromat.

thanks again!

when laundry is done my mind is clear for other stuff. In this stage I cant handle too much. im kind of a different person with my hormones uneven these days Smile

thanks

mha3484

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 2:55 pm
One tip I implemented when I was super preg and post partum was that I made a rule to put laundry in only when I was coming and going. If I was leaving the house anyway than I put in a load but otherwise I tried to not make trips downstairs for its own sake. I also had DH put a basket in the basement and I would actually put in the machine when I felt like it. That helped a lot. He would take it up too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry