Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Do we have enough toys?

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 11:38 pm
Is this enough toys for a 3.5 year old girl?

-Bristle Blocks
-Mega Blocks
-Doll & Stroller
-A few puzzles
-4 Fisher Price vehicles and a bunch of Little People
-Lincoln Logs
-Candyland, one other kid board game
-Loads of books
-Playdoh/Markers & Paper (but obv. not on Shabbos)

My DD is always bored, especially on Shabbos, and never really just plays on her own. I feel like buying new toys is not the solution because whenever I do that, she'll play with it for a few minutes and then get bored of it. But I wanted your objective opinions on whether I really do or don't have enough to occupy her.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 12:25 am
Sounds like plenty of fun stuff. The only thing I can think of that's shabbos-friendly that I don't see on the list is additional pretend play items beyond the doll and stroller - toy food and dishes, other doll clothes and accessories, etc. A dollhouse is also a great investment. If you are looking for more toys (which it sounds like you aren't but just putting it out there) my kids like things that you can make designs out of - for example my 3-year-old loves making patterns out of Mastermind pegs which we have out for older kids, but they also make pegboards or tile things or the like that are meant for making designs.

But some kids just need people and action more than toys. It's easier if you HAPPEN to have the kind of kid who likes to entertain herself! If you don't, I guess you're just stuck spending a lot of time playing and arranging playdates.

imeinu

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 12:30 am
sounds like a nice amount. how 'bout getting a special "Shabbos toy" that you take out only on Shabbos to keep her interested in it. Also can you arrange a playmate? She may enjoy that a lot more.

and regarding seeker's "pretend play" suggestion - some of my girls favorite toys are old nb sized outfits for their dolls, plastic spoons and bowls, old pocketbooks of mine, etc. you don't have to go out and buy necessarily. there is tons in your house if you look for it!

sped

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 12:37 am
And my kids use my pots, pans and containers for all kinds of pretend play.
Toy food and dishes is great; so is a (very) mini stove/oven I got a great addition to their collection.

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 12:40 am
Sounds like fun toys

I would say you should definitely consider getting a dollhouse with dolls and furniture (if price is a concern, try to get it second hand) and also if possible to get your daughter some shabbos playdates. Dollhouses are amazing for creative play, and socializing is best of all.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 12:46 am
we have a lot of toys but most of them are hardly played with the one thing that my girls never get bored of is doll houses. all of them from age 2-9 can literally sit for hours shaboss afternoon playing with them. we bought one bigger one on sale once and another 3 we got second hand for like 5 dollars each

gande

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 4:24 am
Your missing magna tiles!!
It is the only toy my dd plays on her own! It keeps on breaking so she never get done. Pair it with some mitzva mentshies. she'll be busy building boxes and hiding them inside.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 4:40 am
Friends?
She may just have the social aspect missing.

Teomima

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 6:45 am
Others have made good suggestions, but I'd also say dress-up! At that age my girls LOVED dress-up. You can buy discounted costumes (perfect timing now being post-Halloween, unless you're in Israel), or make your own, and add in any items of yours that you don't need anymore (old shoes, pocketbooks, costume jewellery, etc).

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 10:34 pm
OP here, thanks everyone! Responding in no particular order...

-I bet she would LOVE a doll house actually, my reservation is where to PUT it so she can play with it without her 1.5yo brother constantly grabbing/eating/losing pieces...truthfully this is a big part of the Shabbos challenge, he is always getting into whatever she is playing with and can't really be reasoned with at this age.

-Magnatiles...I know, I know, seems like they are the must-have toy. They are just SO expensive!

-It's difficult to arrange friends on Shabbos, we don't live so close to any of her friends. I know it would help.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 11:56 pm
Magnatiles are great but I don't feel they're a must-have. You don't need to OWN every great toy, it's fine to save some fun things for elsewhere! I did see them do miracles once for a child with poor coordination but if your kid is able to enjoy building with legos and/or blocks and/or playing with other toys, spend the $100 on a bunch of smaller things.

Yeah toddlers can be a problem! You could get a smaller dollhouse that she can play on a tabletop. Or if you have a half-size bookshelf/toy-shelf that you can put it on top of. Or let her play inside a room with a baby gate while you keep the toddler entertained in a different area. And if he cries when you don't let him play with her toys, don't worry. He will survive. Crying is how toddlers express what they don't like. Learning about respecting other people's things is something toddlers don't like but need to do. I hope for your and DD's sake that he takes a nice long Shabbos nap!

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 12:54 pm
seeker wrote:
Magnatiles are great but I don't feel they're a must-have. You don't need to OWN every great toy, it's fine to save some fun things for elsewhere! I did see them do miracles once for a child with poor coordination but if your kid is able to enjoy building with legos and/or blocks and/or playing with other toys, spend the $100 on a bunch of smaller things.

Yeah toddlers can be a problem! You could get a smaller dollhouse that she can play on a tabletop. Or if you have a half-size bookshelf/toy-shelf that you can put it on top of. Or let her play inside a room with a baby gate while you keep the toddler entertained in a different area. And if he cries when you don't let him play with her toys, don't worry. He will survive. Crying is how toddlers express what they don't like. Learning about respecting other people's things is something toddlers don't like but need to do. I hope for your and DD's sake that he takes a nice long Shabbos nap!

That's a good idea seeker, thanks. I'm going to look into getting a dollhouse.

lfab

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 1:19 pm
My girl's favorite toys are their pretend play toys: dress up clothes specifically princess dresses and a kallah dress, old pocketbooks and heels, doll clothes and accessories (crib, high chair, etc.) toy food/pots/dishes with (or without) a kitchen set, and a doll house (although I find that they don't really play with the doll house itself at 3.5 but they like to play with the people and furniture and it's not until their a little older that they start setting up the furniture in the house). But definately pretend play is big with them at that age. And it's easy for you to "play" with her while you do other stuff. She can bring her toy food/dishes into the kitchen and cook dinner while you prepare dinner for the family. She can "bathe" her baby while you give her little brother a bath, have her go to the "store" and buy the ingredients you are using to make dinner (using her pretend food), etc. Other all time favorites, although not shabbos friendly, include coloring/cuttin/pasting and playdoh. Also, some kids are just better at entertaining themselves than others. Some kids will always want someone to play with them and will not be able to sustain a game on their own.

gande

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 3:08 pm
I have a dollhouse my kids don't touch it. you can have it for free without the parts.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 3:19 pm
I didnt read the other posts, so dont know if this was mentioned yet, but give her dress up clothes....your old sheitels and snoods, princess gowns and your old high heeled shoes , pocket books, even old cell phones...my kids play "pretend" alot....and I have boys ,but when my nieces come they keep busy with that , they dress up like chefs and play with the toy food and "run restaurants"

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 4:33 pm
I have just doll furniture the house is made out of megablocks....and sometimes a carboard box

carboard boxes have so many uses no need to store throw it out when done they can be a ship or shower a house a crib realy anyththing she wants
you can draw on them or let her color it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers