Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Dd wont lay still when I'm diapering

wazup

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 6:46 am
help! my 7 month old dd just started to flip and twist her body when im trying to diaper. I dont have enough hands to hold her down and diaper her. she is strong! she end up getting everything filthy because I can keep her still enough to wipe her bottom. any suggestions?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 6:52 am
Do it on the floor use your leg over her chest. It won't hurt but will keep the mess in place.

water_bear88

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 6:53 am
Special toy on the changing table that'll keep her distracted (an empty package of wipes or a hairbrush can work well) and her hands busy. Other than that, change her as quickly as possible.
Not a fun stage, but it will pass.

yamz

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 6:57 am
I can't help but chuckle when I read this. Yes, I have a few suggestions. Mostly, you'll gain experience and learn to grin and bear it. Most kids do this and the stage lasts a long time. Keep a few small toys near the diaper changing station that you can give her to distract her/keep her busy while you change her. Sing her a song while you change her. Sometimes it will buy you a minute or two to wipe the worst of the mess away, and sometimes your child might keep still through the whole thing! Truthfully though, that second pair of hands really is helpful; so if anyone else is around, have them hold her still or do the cleaning and diapering while you hold her still.

wazup

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 7:06 am
thanks for your suggestions! her regular toys wont work but maybe ill give her my cell phone which she is always trying to get and I never let!

Volunteer

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 7:10 am
Just make ,sure the toy is easy to clean if it touches anything dirty on the table.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 7:10 am
wazup wrote:
help! my 7 month old dd just started to flip and twist her body when im trying to diaper. I dont have enough hands to hold her down and diaper her. she is strong! she end up getting everything filthy because I can keep her still enough to wipe her bottom. any suggestions?

Use a chux on the changing table, it will contain the mess and you'll be able to wrap it up and toss it. I had good luck with a mobile over the changing table.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 7:49 am
My changing table had a strap to buckle in your child... It worked well! Plus the whole concept of a buckle interested my child for a while.
If you don't have one of those I second (or third) the idea of a song and a toy.
I wouldn't use your phone because it isn't easy to clean. But v-tech and others make fake look a likes that sing and light up.

Sewsew_mom

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 7:57 am
Sing to her. Teach her face parts.. Should distract her..

loving it!

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 5:41 pm
My DC is a little older, so idk if would work on a 7 month old, but when my DC starts flipping over or running away as I try to diaper, I say the tickle monster is coming and tickle the thighs and as she is finishing to laugh I ask if the tickle monster should come again, I wipe her and tickle her and as I dump the diaper on, I ask if tickle monster should come again. Works every time

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 5:54 pm
give her something small--like a toy--a ball, block, or a diaper for EACH hand--keep both of her hands busy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics