Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Potty training help! 3 year old boy- quick advice needed!

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 2:23 pm
Hi,
My son just turned 3. He is now motivated to train (great prize) and has been making number 1 in the toilet for the past day. No accidents. We have been training casually for over six months.
It's now time for his number 2. He has tried a couple times this afternoon and nothing. He has number 2'd a couple times in the potty.

He just asked me for a pull up to poop in, should I wait it out for the afternoon?

Or give in on the diaper?

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 2:38 pm
Anybody? I'm sure someone can help!

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 2:42 pm
my 3 yr old asks for a diaper and when I don't give it he literally is plotzing and finally runs to the toilet. The thing is to make a big deal when he goes so he will want to do it again. While he sits, and I see he is trying to hold it in I tell him "pretend that you are wearing a diaper *for fake* and now *for fake* push it in to the diaper... ". It works.

GetReal

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 2:43 pm
I've heard of people letting their child poop in a pull up or diaper, but sitting on the potty, so the kid gets used to the position and is comfortable, and then later can do it without the diaper/pull up.

My boys both needed a nice bribe to poop in the potty the first few times, to help them get over that fear, and then they were good to go.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 2:46 pm
Thank you. I'll try. I'm more nervous than him! Training boys so much harder!

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 3:16 pm
my son insisted on stripping himself naked from head to toe in order to do #2...when he went to kindergarten, the Rebbe let him know he cant do that anymore..maybe he's afraid that he'll fall in or something

5*Mom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 3:25 pm
Make sure his diet includes lots of fiber, dried fruits and lots and lots of water so it's harder for him to withhold and easier to produce. All you need is a couple of successes, made easier and more comfortable by his diet, and he'll be good to go.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 3:29 pm
Thanks all. The last two hours I have been so frustrated!
He told me 7 times he had to #2, was eager to sit on the toilet, and then nothing. What can I do?
Also he insists on touching everything while he is sitting, the toilet, the seat, my face, his toes etc and it is making me anxious too. And I'm really not germaphobic

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 4:43 pm
Keep him sitting there, and read to him. You may be in there for an hour, so get comfortable. Eventually he will forget that he's there to poop, and that's the moment the muscles will relax and let it happen. Keep his hands busy by giving him something to fidget with, that he can only play with while he's on the potty.

It worked with DD, and I had her trained for #2 in one day.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 5:12 pm
Thanks FF. After 2.5 hours and 9 tries, he did it!
Hopefully we can build on success.

justforfun87

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 7:53 pm
He will improve after a few days. It is very very normal for that age to request a diaper to poo in. I believe you want to avoid that as not to get in the habit. I have a friend who son is nearly 5 and still asking for the diaper. Try to ride the wave the next few days. Usually their body is on schedule so try to work around that time.

artz

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 9:03 pm
you can also tell him to pick a toy to play with in the bathroom while he sits there
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers