Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
SIDS
Previous  1  2

Leahh

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 7:57 pm
seeker wrote:
It's not that simple. Everyone needs air. Many people will find it if there isn't any. Why are some babies not able to do so? I have seen various theories with different levels of support. There are also other reasons a baby may stop breathing even if there is air available. You say that lying this way or that doesn't help much, but empirical research disagrees with you, I definitely remember reading that there was a significant decrease in SIDS after the "back to sleep" campaign.

The research is skewed because at the same time that the back-to-sleep campaign started, there were also changes to prenatal testing and care which contributed to a decrease in SIDS as well as an increase in post mortem testing to determine cause of death. So SIDS as a cause of death may have decreased but that is because they are finding birth defects in utero and dealing with them at birth to prevent the baby's death, as well as for those they can't prevent, naming the cause of death rather than calling it SIDS.

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:
I was told by my lactation consultant that the formula companies funded the Back to Sleep campaign because studies indicated the number one common factor for SIDS decades ago was formula feeding (and smoking).
She told me in NICUs the babies are all put on their bellies.
I put my babies on their backs and they were horrible sleepers and I would love to believe this is true next time around but I am too scared to try belly sleep.

When exactly are NICU babies put on their bellies to sleep? What about all thewil medical equipment they are attached to?
I will admit to sort-of belly sleeping for my newborns---I have often put 2-3 month old on his/her belly until he falls asleep--and I don't leave his side at all....once in a deep sleep--I'd flip him over.

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 8:10 pm
My grandparents lost a baby due to SIDS in 1950. There is nobody alive today who would be able to share any details...and my grandparents never spoke about it when they were alive. The baby was their first born and he didn't wake up on his first birthday...which coincided with Yom Kippur that year.
Yes, there's no way of telling at this time what exactly caused the baby's death--I have no idea if an autopsy was performed at the time or if there were any reports....But there are so many factors that COULD have been including: blankets, crib bumpers, pillows, everyone smoked, there also could have been an undetected health issue--such as a heart condition or seizure disorder....

goodmorning

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 8:50 pm
amother wrote:
I was told by my lactation consultant that the formula companies funded the Back to Sleep campaign because studies indicated the number one common factor for SIDS decades ago was formula feeding (and smoking).

Based on research conducted since 1985, the American Academy of Pediatrics began recommending putting babies to sleep on their backs in 1992. In 1994, the US National Institute of Child Health and Human Development at the NIH launched the formal "Back to Sleep" campaign.

Quote:

NICU babies are often (though by no means, not always) put to sleep on their stomachs because they are attached to heart rate/oxygen/blood pressure monitors that can alert the nurses the second that something goes wrong. It is far more dangerous to put babies to sleep on their stomachs at home, since most babies at home do not have such monitoring. There is some recent research, though, that suggests that NICU nurses should model "back to sleep" to help babies (and their parents) become accustomed to sleeping on their backs after discharge.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 10:51 pm
following is excerpt from dtap vaccine listing sids as side effect. the cdc also mentions that surprisingly rates of sids peek at 2-4-6 months in direct correlation with dtap vaccine. even thou it peeked at those months and it is listed as a adverse reaction, the cdc claims it not related.... I wonder.
page 11
"Adverse events reported during post-approval use of Tripedia vaccine include idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, SIDS,anaphylactic reaction, cellulitis, autism, convulsion/grand mal convulsion, encephalopathy, hypotonia, neuropathy, somnolence
and apnea. Events were included in this list because of the seriousness or frequency of reporting "

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 11:35 pm
https://www.nichd.nih.gov/sts/......aspx

Here's an informative article from the NIH about back sleeping and sids. Dolly's not wrong that air flow is a major component.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 12:14 am
amother wrote:
following is excerpt from dtap vaccine listing sids as side effect. the cdc also mentions that surprisingly rates of sids peek at 2-4-6 months in direct correlation with dtap vaccine. even thou it peeked at those months and it is listed as a adverse reaction, the cdc claims it not related.... I wonder.
page 11
"Adverse events reported during post-approval use of Tripedia vaccine include idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, SIDS,anaphylactic reaction, cellulitis, autism, convulsion/grand mal convulsion, encephalopathy, hypotonia, neuropathy, somnolence
and apnea. Events were included in this list because of the seriousness or frequency of reporting "

Page 11 of what??? These are events "reported" not confirmed...this gives credence to nothing. The CDC is just saying what people "claim".... oh the propaganda continues.... do people actually read or is only the dumb people who follow the masses. It says they are reported due to seriousness OR frequency. It doesnt differentiate between the 2. Maybe 1 person said oh after shot baby died of SIDS so it is included because of the "seriousness".

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 3:09 am
My cousin died of sids at two days. My aunt said that at some point babies of alcoholic and drug addicted moms were included in the count. They sleep deeply and may have unknowingly rolled over their babies. Yet they were still called SIDS.
in more recent years the numbers are clearer due to the specifics used in determining the cause of death.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 8:11 am
I read that SIDS decreases by 70% when there is a fan in the room.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting.....-risk

Its not conclusive but it does seem to make sense

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 8:11 am
http://health.usnews.com/healt.....by-72

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 8:15 am
It seems pacifiers also reduce sids

http://www.scientificamerican......uces/

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 8:41 am
amother wrote:

Two of my kids were in the NICU and neither one was put on his belly. My niece was put on her belly in the NICU, but the nurses told my sister not to try that at home because she wouldn't be hooked up to monitors at home.

Sometimes, the choice is belly sleeping or no sleeping at all, so you choose the belly. The whole family has to survive, and no sleeping is more dangerous than belly sleeping.

Zehava

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 9:09 am
I haven't yet read About a Study that proves that Belly sleeping babies have a higher percentage of sids. Don't bring me overall statistics because there are so many other factors involved.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics