Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Motor blew?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 11:55 am
My US KitchenAid mixer got plugged in without a voltage converter- something blew with a bang and a spark. Anyone know what part it was likely to have been or how much it is likely to cost to replace/repair? I'm guessing it might not be worth it, but would be very pleasantly surprised if it is! Recommendations of where to go would also be very helpful. I'm in northern Jerusalem. Thank you!

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 5:19 pm
Anyone have a clue??

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 6:03 pm
Even with a converter, there are no guarantees that your appliances won't blow up. I learned that the hard way from travelling in the UK a couple of times.

When I made Aliyah, I gave away every single thing I owned that had an electrical plug on it, and have just started replacing things that I really NEED. Do some research and find out what the top brands are, and ask your friends what they like to use.

Even if you do manage to get the old mixer fixed, there will be no warantee on the work, and it might just blow up again. Kitchen fires are just not worth it, IMHO.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 6:05 pm
amother wrote:
My US KitchenAid mixer got plugged in without a voltage converter- something blew with a bang and a spark. Anyone know what part it was likely to have been or how much it is likely to cost to replace/repair? I'm guessing it might not be worth it, but would be very pleasantly surprised if it is! Recommendations of where to go would also be very helpful. I'm in northern Jerusalem. Thank you!
Sad good luck with that. If the pieces are american pieces I dont think you will be able to get them here.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 6:07 pm
You melted the wiring coil and blew a bearing. Hopeless.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 9:18 am
Sad Thanks for the responses, everyone! What exactly is a bearing on a mixer? Is it a part of a motor or something like a fuse or something else?

I see someone a few years ago recommended Alex Bergida on Rechov Pinas and dovid yellin in Yerushalayim. I managed to find a number for him on Bezeq's website, but can't tell if he's just not picking up or the store no longer exists. Does anyone know if he's still there or how best to reach him? Or any other suggestions of someone who might have experience with such chutznik issues? Thanks again!

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 11:51 am
Bearings are little steel balls that help parts move smoothly. If it was just a bearing you could perhaps get it repaired if the accompanying parts didn't warp. But the fact that was used on the wrong current means that the wiring coil around the motor has melted down.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 1:22 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Bearings are little steel balls that help parts move smoothly. If it was just a bearing you could perhaps get it repaired if the accompanying parts didn't warp. But the fact that was used on the wrong current means that the wiring coil around the motor has melted down.

Well that does sound pretty intense/expensive. Thanks very much for the info!

Sanguine

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 2:47 pm
I don't know about motors but we did that to our new stereo when we made aliya (forgot to switch the switch to 220). The electrician who we asked said we might have blown the whole thing or maybe just the fuse. Luckily it was just a fuse which was nothing to change.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 9:09 am
In the end... We went to a guy off of Bar Ilan who said our only hope is Bergida off of HaNeviim who said our only hope is a guy off of Bezalel. He replaced the motor for 650 shek. Worth it to us... not sure if it would be to everyone. Thanks, everyone, for the advice!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions