Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Pastrami or Corned Beef in Chulent?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 1:37 pm
I keep seeing cuts of Pastrami and Corned Beef on the shelf at my butcher, saying to just put it in the Chulent pot.

Have you tried this? What does it do to the flavor of your chulent? Do you reduce other salt/spices?

I'd like to try this, but want to first hear someone else who does this.

TIA!

mommyla

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 1:57 pm
I put a small navel pastrami into my yapchik once, and the meat was delicious but I didn't like what it did to the yapchik. I haven't tried it in chulent.

I did once slow-boil a pastrami on its own, and we had hot pastrami sandwiches for the day meal. That was good!

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 1:59 pm
I have done it and think it is delicious. I don't reduce the other spices.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 2:11 pm
The flavor of the pastrami meat reduces in the cholent. But you don't have to reduce your regular cholent seasoning.
From what I've seen, the people who add this to their cholent and enjoy it are those that add it to the cholent in the vacuum sealed package it comes in and the favor of the pastrami meat is not reduced but you're slow cooking the plastic it comes in.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 2:58 pm
Thank you.

So they cook it in the bag. Gotta think if I want that in my cholent.

mom24.7

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 3:20 pm
I have put navel pastrami in the vacuum packed bag into the cholent. Love it! Didnt reduce any spices. Doesnt give cholent much of a taste which is fine with me.

sneakermom

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 4:37 pm
If you add it directly into the cholent it definitely gives off a smokey taste to the whole dish.

Some people like that more than others.

githen03

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 4:53 pm
Quote:
So they cook it in the bag. Gotta think if I want that in my cholent.

I never liked the idea of a hunk of plastic cooking in my chulent, who knows what chemicals are leaching out into the chulent (of course, cooking food inside a plastic bag is probably not so great either, but I don't do it that often). I happen to have a second crockpot so I just have it cooking separately in there. Don't know if that's an option for you.

ez-pass

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 7:45 pm
I do it alot. It doesn't affect the cholent at all. I do it most when I have company and everyone loves. I cook it in the bag...

mommy24

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 9:43 am
mommyla wrote:
I put a small navel pastrami into my yapchik once, and the meat was delicious but I didn't like what it did to the yapchik. I haven't tried it in chulent.

I did once slow-boil a pastrami on its own, and we had hot pastrami sandwiches for the day meal. That was good!

I know this is an old post, but my kids have been asking for hot pastrami sandwiches for shabbos day. How did you do this? Did you cook it in crock pot all shabbos, keep on low?

lora

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 9:59 am
the vacuum packed packaging is made for this, just put it on top of your cholent right before Shabbos, packaging and all, and just ignore it till you use it.

mommy24

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 12:26 pm
lora wrote:
the vacuum packed packaging is made for this, just put it on top of your cholent right before Shabbos, packaging and all, and just ignore it till you use it.

I don't want to make a chulent this week, so I want to know hpw do I make it without chulent?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 1:38 pm
I make it as usual (thanks gp2.0 for the recipe method!) and rewarm the slices of meat, which are wrapped together in foil) on top of the crockpot (or other indirect heat source) for a while, until hot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics