Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What does "bitochon" mean

shoshanim999

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 10:53 pm
I always hear that people should "have bitochon in hashem" and things will work out. Is that what bitochons means? Does bitochon mean that a person who is terminally ill should have bitochon that hashem will cure him or should he have bitochon that this is hashems will and hashem probably won't cure him but that's what hashem wants?

Should the 30 year old single girl have bitochon that hashem will surely find her a shidduch or should she have bitochon that maybe its hashems will that she be alone her whole life and she should accept it?

Should the family that's been suffering because they don't have parnasa have bitochon that hashem will provide for them in a dignified way or should they have bitochon that maybe its hashems will that they suffer this way?

smss

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 11:01 pm
I have never heard it the way you have. My understanding is that bitachon is believing that Hashem COULD do anything (heal sickness, send a shidduch, bring parnassah) and WILL do whatever is best for you. Not that He WILL do what you want.

jj123

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 11:05 pm
I remember listening to a shiur by Rabbi Wallerstein who said that is not what it means at all. Bitachon and Emunah is knowing that even though things might happen that are not what you planned for, it was meant to be because it was for the best even if you can't see it. So G-d forbid if one was in any of those scenarios you described, the person wouldn't think: Ok Gd I have bitachon and I know everything will be ok. That person instead would be thinking: Whatever will happen, G-d planned it for me because He knows it is the best situation for me even if I don't see it that way.

Hope this helps!
(and I haven't listened to that shiur in years so I'm hoping I'm paraphrasing him correctly)

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 11:06 pm
I thought bitochon means, "I know I'm in G-d's hands and I feel safe and secure because He does what's best for me, whether or not I can appreciate it right now. I trust that He is doing what's best for me."

shoshanim999

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 11:32 pm
op here....I agree with all the above comments. However, I usually hear people use the word "bitochon" in the context that they expect things to work out the way they believe is best. When we encourage a 30 year old single to have bitochon she is likely taking it exclusively to mean that if she puts her faith in hashem then she will find a shidduch and not that maybe its hashems will that she never find a shidduch. Frankly, 99% of people don't have that kind of bitochon at all. `My coworkers husband just lost his job. She is a nervous wreck and not sleeping at night. I keep hearing people telling her to have bitochon. The last thing she is taking this as is to mean that even if her husband can't find a job and she has to pawn her jewelry and give up her house to the bank to move into a basement with her 6 children- its hashems will.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 12:09 am
Many times when we look back at the hardships and challenges one goes through we see how it was very good for us it helped us grow and we got what was much better for us. We're not meant to understand everything - but by having bitochen holding on things usually work out for the best.

energy booster

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 12:38 am
A yid is never allowed to give up. So we daven and hope for the best. Many times a tefillah or a good deed can change the situation and Hashem will send a yeshuah. And we believe that Hashem can send the yeshuah. And whatever will end up happening we will believe that it was best for us even if we don't see why.

chani8

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 4:11 am
Having bitachon does not mean we will sleep well at night, that we wont briefly lose our minds in grief or anxiety, or that we will get what we want.

Bitachon means, I believe that this is G-d's will, that what I'm going through is what G-d decided I need to go through. It may hurt so much, and I may want it to stop, but bitachon gives me that little bit of peace in the corner of mind, that this is not for nothing. That I'm going through this for a (good) reason.

Looking back at life, most of the time, hard times were for a really important, life changing reason, and clearly (in hindsight) for the good. As bitachon gets stronger, we are able to latch on to that understanding, more easily. Bitachon becomes a way of thinking, exactly like positive thinking. It's a resiliancy factor. We can only benefit from Bitachon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics