Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
What does it say on the kesuba?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 9:19 am
In laymans terms, what does the kesuba say are the obligations for the man towards the woman and vice versa? TY

doctorima

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 9:31 am
No obligations for wife to husband, it's all about him to her. He has to work to provide for her, nourish her, and marital relations, plus if they get divorced he owes her 200 zuz.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 10:41 am
My BIL told us that just before the Chuppah, as he was lifting the Kesuba (it has to be his, and he has to acquire it) Rabbi R. Feinstein the Mesader Kedushin asked him if he's sure he wants it, as it's worth 30 grand.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 11:01 am
There are other obligations somewhere in Halacha (maybe Rambam?) between husband and wife. Both are obligated in pidyon shvuyim for each other beyond what they would be for any other individual- I don't remember the whole lists.

fashgurl

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 11:35 am
The Kesuba is a basic document that outlines completely basic requirements that I dont think have any practical application nowadays (besides for the fact that obviously one needs it to get married), if 1 is looking at a Kesuba to find ones obligations, I suggest they may need a lot more than just a Kesuba...

miami85

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 3:55 pm
doctorima wrote:
No obligations for wife to husband, it's all about him to her. He has to work to provide for her, nourish her, and marital relations, plus if they get divorced he owes her 200 zuz.

I thought there was an understanding that there was a clause of something like "k'das yehudis" that was supposed to imply that she follow the halachos of tznius and taharas hamishpacha. Maybe its not in the kesuba (I know where mine is but it's not easily accessible to see right now), but maybe in the halachos regarding gittin.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 5:19 am
miami85 wrote:
I thought there was an understanding that there was a clause of something like "k'das yehudis" that was supposed to imply that she follow the halachos of tznius and taharas hamishpacha. Maybe its not in the kesuba (I know where mine is but it's not easily accessible to see right now), but maybe in the halachos regarding gittin.

Not in the ketuba (at least none I've heard or seen). This is why they don't want us to learn Aramaic ...

https://talesoutofbaisyaakov.w.....lmud/

Anyway, here's a translation, but there are variations. http://www.galleryjudaica.com/......html

Happy18

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 6:07 am
I find this subject so sad. When I was in seminary we went through the kesuba line by line.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions