Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Eggs question

sourstix

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 10:22 am
I made a order yesterday. all the fridge items were room temperature including the eggs. question: if eggs have salmonella and should be refrigerated how come in usa were more careful with it then in other places? are others not worried? or can it be that cooking kills the salmonella totally? I need to find a website that can give me facts. if you can help me I would strongly appreciate it. I heard from a neighbor of mine that pp in israel just keep it on the counter all day. I just want to understand this. obviously they know something I dont. or is isreali eggs treated differently? please clue me in. I am confused.

sourstix

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 10:27 am
now I just read on fda website that I stumbled upon. that in-shell pasteurization doesnt need all the care than those not pasteurization. I thought that eggs are pasteurized? dont they pasteurize eggs and milk and juices? how would I know for sure?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 10:38 am
The danger lies on the egg's shell. The egg gets contaminated when cracked. Which is why if you use raw eggs in a no cook recipe, you need to wash the egg first in warm soapy water, before cracking.

As for keeping eggs at room temperature for a bit, should be fine.

Eggs are not generally pasteurized. Though you can pay more for specially pasteurized eggs, and the egg carton would be clearly labeled.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 8:00 pm
I've never seen eggs sold refrigerated here, just ambient temperature. (And thank goodness, no food poisonings even though we're big fans of poached eggs.) I actually remember hearing NOT to refrigerate eggs, as colder temperature would likely lead to moisture accumulated from condensation, which can encourage bacterial growth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics