Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you believe in global warming?
Previous  1  2  3

Do you believe in global warming?
Of course, it's science!  
 30%  [ 25 ]
Oh please, it's all politics!  
 38%  [ 32 ]
What's global warming?  
 3%  [ 3 ]
Is it in the Torah? Maybe it's a sign that Moshiach is coming!  
 2%  [ 2 ]
all of the above  
 1%  [ 1 ]
some of the above  
 12%  [ 10 ]
none of the above  
 3%  [ 3 ]
Wait, what was the question again?  
 2%  [ 2 ]
other, which I will explain in painstaking detail below  
 6%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 83

DrMom

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 1:20 pm
amother wrote:
It doesn't matter, because the things being proposed in the name of global warming are things we should be doing anyway. Do you really think we shouldn't be trying to curb emissions? Because we and our kids are breathing in all that cr*p and it's not definitely not good for us. And we should absolutely be developing alternatives to oil, because all that oil we're using is lining the pockets of hostile Arab nations, and that certainly isn't good for us either. Americans should be reducing reliance on cars, which would help people slim down. Maybe humans are affecting the climate, maybe not, but these solutions are things we ought to be doing regardless.

I think these are two separate questions. It's like asking, "Do you believe in G-d?" and having someone answer, "Who cares? We all think it's important to be a good person, not kill, not steal, be kind to others, etc." True enough, but it is still sidestepping the question.

Of course it is worthwhile to explore alternate fuel sources, reduce our reliance of Arab oil, reduce emissions, etc. Many people who take issue with the studies that support global warming theories would agree these activities are important.

I find it particularly disturbing that global warming theory is being used as a political tool to club people on the head and call them "deniers" or "anti-science" or otherwise smear their reputation if they take issue with the studies that support this theory.

Science should be apolitical. Once you taint science with ideology, you violate the scientific method, peer review becomes politicized, and the studies are rendered worthless to anyone who does not have first-hand knowledge of the topic.

ora_43

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 3:34 pm
I voted "other."

for "it's science," which is why I don't "believe in" global climate change, rather, I think there is significant evidence pointing in that direction. I think it's highly probable.

I think that we should all act as if humanity-made climate change is a real thing. Let's say the odds that humanity is changing the climate in potentially catastrophic ways stand at 80%. So if we act now, there's like a 50% chance we're saving humanity from disaster, a 30% chance we're saving humanity from something unpleasant-but-short-of-catastrophe, and a 20% chance we unnecessarily sacrificed a few luxuries. I'm willing to take that 20% risk.

Plus, as one of the amothers said, most of the things being proposed would improve our quality of life anyway.

(eta - scientists say the odds are over 90%)

Last edited by ora_43 on Sat, Nov 07 2015, 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

imasoftov

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 4:44 pm
smilingmom wrote:
Your analogy is based on your premise that I do not agree with.
You assume that global warming in and of itself is vile. I do not see it as vile, but as good.
You assume that global warming has a negative impact on our world. I do not agree with that assumption. I see the positive impact of global warming.

I think the world is overpopulated and murder is a good thing. But it might reduce global warming if enough people died, drat.

professor

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 7:07 pm
I do not believe in hype.
are we experiencing global warming? maybe, maybe not.
there isnt enough science to prove or disprove it. there's only hype
and
I
don't believe in hype.

I do know, though, that hashem holds three keys: fertility, weather, and life
no hype is going to take control of any of these keys

professor

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 7:24 pm
fmt4 wrote:
Do people still think that global warming literally means that the thermometer reads a higher temperature in the particular place that you live? Get educated people. The fact that on the east coast we had a cold winter last year does nothing to prove that global warming is not a fact.

and yet the op looks at that same thermometer when NY had 70 degrees this week, which "obviously" means *gasp!* global warming

WhatFor

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 7:37 pm
professor wrote:

there isnt enough science to prove or disprove it.

97% of scientists believe that humans are causing global warming. It's not 100%, but it's a significant enough number that I'd err on the side of not potentially destroying the earth.

The following sums it up nicely.

[warning- some bad language]

Rutabaga

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 9:00 pm
professor wrote:
and yet the op looks at that same thermometer when NY had 70 degrees this week, which "obviously" means *gasp!* global warming

Actually, the OP was hoping to spark a lighthearted debate to lighten things up around here. We've had some very heavy threads lately.

I would have thought the way I worded the poll options made it clear that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 10:08 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
It means that your local weather is influenced by many things. Here on the left coast our weather is influenced by the higher temperature in the Pacific Ocean. (Among other things.)

I know this has nothing to do with the discussion, but where is the left coast? Not being snarky, it actually gave me a good laugh :-)

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 10:43 pm
How can you believe half of what you hear in the liberal biased media...
http://dailycaller.com/2015/02.....nasa/

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 10:46 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
I know this has nothing to do with the discussion, but where is the left coast? Not being snarky, it actually gave me a good laugh :-)

It is a commonly used reference to the West coast of the US. Look at a US map, there is a right coast and a left coast.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 10:53 pm
The Left Coast is also, for the most part, politically liberal, so it's a double meaning.

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 10:54 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
The Left Coast is also, for the most part, politically liberal, so it's a double meaning.

It is pretty darn blue, that's true.

Merrymom

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 1:51 am
It's usually those who don't understand a particular science that are very quick to say it's all lies. How many of those that don't believe in global warming have actually read a scientific article (not one put out by a particular political group or politically owned news group) ?

Laiya

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 12:23 pm
smilingmom wrote:
Throughout the years different species of animals and plants have come and gone.
Most of it due to industrialization and pollution, but some of it cannot be controlled by us. We can call it natural evolution or Hashem, but whatever it is, we can see it in a beneficial light.

True we must respect nature and our environment.
Re-purposing products and limiting use of our cars are easy way to do that on a personal level.

By the way the temperature on Mars has increased the same percentage as the temperatures on earth, and there are no SUV on Mars.

That is fascinating, I never heard this

ora_43

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 1:10 pm
Re: the counter-climate-change arguments here -

It's true that the earth's temperature has gone up and down in the past, even before SUVs and mass cattle production, etc.

But the scientists who study this stuff know that. They aren't just looking at a temperature chart and going "ooooh, it went up!! It must be because of cars and stuff."

I'm not saying they are definitely, 100% right - and they aren't asking for 100% "belief" either, just that people look at what's probable - but they are aware of the factors involved. Those factors are taken into account in their calculations whenever possible. (It is possible there are unknown factors that would change everything. Which is why it's a question of probability, not absolute fact).

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 1:19 pm
Merrymom wrote:
It's usually those who don't understand a particular science that are very quick to say it's all lies. How many of those that don't believe in global warming have actually read a scientific article (not one put out by a particular political group or politically owned news group) ?

And science is complex. It's not just a meteorologist working on this. Geologists, glaciologists, physicists, biologists, microbiologist, botanists and mathematicians all are working together on diverse cooperative research to understand climate change.

Literacy in science is difficult for some and a non interest for others.

leah233

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 2:04 pm
I believe there is some valid evidence to support belief in global warming.But I do not believe it is possible to have enough information to be certain if it is true or not. There are too many unknowns.

In the 1980s I read a New York Times article assuring us that by 2020 it would be over 100 degrees for weeks on end. Although, back then, nothing written in the NYT was allowed to be questioned I still had my doubts.

I also think that the risk of some despot using a nuclear weapon and causing massive destruction to the world (environment included)is a lot bigger and more preventable then the risks of global warming.Yet most people only focus of the one of the two risks. Not both.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics