Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Did you wash your Corelle before Toiveling?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 11:45 am
It seems there's some kind of finish or film.

Please advise if you asked a Rov, whom you asked and what he said. (We can't reach anyone now....)

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 11:46 am
We washed off the stickers.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 12:15 pm
We bought a set of Corelle dishes that also had a film. I called up Corningware and they said it's some sort of vegetable based oil that's used to prevent the dishes from sticking to each other in the packing boxes. They told me they weren't at liberty to specify exactly what the oil is composed of. My Rabbi told me to wash the dishes with cold water and dishwahing liquid in a bathroom sink before toiveling. Definately should not wash off film in your kitchen sink.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 5:05 am
amother wrote:
We bought a set of Corelle dishes that also had a film. I called up Corningware and they said it's some sort of vegetable based oil that's used to prevent the dishes from sticking to each other in the packing boxes. They told me they weren't at liberty to specify exactly what the oil is composed of. My Rabbi told me to wash the dishes with cold water and dishwahing liquid in a bathroom sink before toiveling. Definately can't wash off film in your kitchen sink.

Is your last sentence practical advice (washing it off in your kitchen sink won't remove the oil) or halachic (doing that may treif your sink)?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 5:29 am
Washing cold with soap will negate any kashrus issues.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 8:20 am
imasoftov wrote:
Is your last sentence practical advice (washing it off in your kitchen sink won't remove the oil) or halachic (doing that may treif your sink)?

I used the wrong word. Sorry! LOL
I just edited my post.
Anyway, you should not wash the film off in your kitchen sink because you don't want to add a foreign substance into it.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 12:31 pm
I never heard of not washing it in your kitchen sink. But I was warned about the film and washed it off.

L K

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 8:17 pm
Did anyone ask if it's a separate concern for pesach? Going to call a rav irl but curious if anyone asked.
I've just gotten some sets, and while some show minor film other ones look mamash greasy. I would have totally thought they were used had the boxes not been factory sealed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen