Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddler Falls

myname1

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 10:43 am
My one-year-old just dove off the rocking chair. He got a nice big red bump on his forehead, but now he seems fine, ate, drank, "spoke" like usual... so he's fine, right? What kinds of falls warrant extra worrying, and what do you do for them? I remember something about checking the pupils of the eyes and that there are situations where one shouldn't let the child fall asleep- when do those come into play? Thanks for any help... first child, can you tell?

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 10:50 am
I think if he vomits or loses consciousness even for an instant or is very drowsy then there's a potential concussion c'v and you're supposed to make sure they stay awake and get treatment - he sounds okay to me, honestly. Kids fall.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 10:50 am
I am an EMT. Watch him for the next few hours for unusual behavior, difficulty with balance, dizziness, vomiting, and don't put him to sleep. You can check that his pupils are normal-not dilated or cross-eyes.

If he looks alert and is acting the way he normally does he should be okay.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 10:54 am
As a rule of thumb, bring him to the doctor to be checked if he falls from a height that his twice his own height.

myname1

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 11:07 am
Thank you, both! Does the location of the fall (back/side/front of head) make any difference?

Blessing1

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 12:56 pm
Interesting thing, My doctor told me that it's better for kids to fall asleep after a fall.

gibberish

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 2:09 pm
Call your doctor.

I was told to wake my child every 2 hours and make him do something to see if his mind is still alert (we gave him a toy). I was also told that if he appears dizzy (crawling into things), vomits, or seems out of it, then to go straight to ER
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics