Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Shabbos Party for toddlers

mommyofboygirls

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 2:54 am
I have a few toddlers of my own and also a few in the neighborhood. I want to start making a shabbos party for them each afternoon. Please tell what a typical shabbos party includes and what you do or have seen done. The last time I really saw a shabbos party happen for kids this age was before I was even expecting my first, and I did not pay much attention.

Thank you in advance!

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 4:28 am
Why? Why not just invite a kid over to play? I have never seen any advantage of a group over individual playdates at this age. What we do and have seen done is a couple of toddlers playing together or side by side with dolls or legos. Zehu.

cm

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 6:55 am
In my experience, "Shabbos party" means a special snack, not an actual party/activity. As in, "hey kids, come sit at the table for Shabbos party!" and bringing out the twizzlers. Otherwise it's just like a regular play date.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 11:44 am
I have a lot of kids coming to my house on shabbos. Ages ranging from 4 - 10.
I try to have an exciting shabbos party treat because it keeps the crowd centered around my house. My reasoning is that many of the kids, ages 6\7 up run around unsupervised, and I don't really let my kids so in order that they don't feel left out I try to keep things centered in my yard or house so the kids congregate there and I can somewhat supervise the situation.

I typically put out individual servings so there is no fighting or grabbing of food. Differs week to week but basically large serving of popcorn or chips. 1 - 2 candies (lolly pops, taffy, jelly beans) or one large candy (I.e. fruit roll up, candy baracelets) and 1 - 2 cookies. Water and Juice.
May times I'll cut up apples or a melon or clementines and place in the middle of the table and some kids do take.

Some mothers in the neighborhood make more a brachos party type party. Where they serve one item in each bracha category. It also makes it a bit healthier.

It keeps the kids entertained for some time I set them up on the dining room table and they end up shmoozing and or adding a game.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 9:06 pm
Yes but OP specifically mentioned toddlers. Shabbos parties can be a great diversion for the school-age set but I don't see any advantage for toddlers.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 9:54 pm
In my experience Shabbos parties usually involve some combination of a song, the 12 pesukim , parsha questions, a story and a treat.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 10:14 pm
"the 12 pesukim?"

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 10:37 pm
seeker wrote:
"the 12 pesukim?"

It's a Lubavitch thing. It's 12 pesukim that the Rebbe felt were important for everyone to know, if I am correct.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 10:44 pm
I started making a "shabbos party" for my 3 year old if she and whoever is watching her (usually one of her aunts) allows me to sleep on shabbos afternoon. She knows that if I have a good nap and wake up happy she'll get a "party" usually let her choose a few small treats ( jelly beans, Lolly pop, twisters) and chips/popcorn/cookies.
She really looks forward to playing nicely so that I can get a nap Smile

mommyofboygirls

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 11:06 pm
Thank you for the replies, all.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 6:37 pm
A friend of mine in the neighbourhood runs toddler kabbalat Shabbat on Friday afternoons in summer or actually after candlelighting in winter. I think it's mostly playdates, a few Shabbat themed songs, they do a story time where toddlers with many stuffed animals sit in the circle. The highlight is when each of them get a gingerbread man/woman biscuit. (Though I used to hate that kids have no appetite for Fri dinner...)They do at someone's house, mostly mothers with toddlers for summer months, but move to the shul hall for winter (because we daven kabalat Shabbat like 4pm) so mostly fathers taking toddlers.

abaker

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 9:07 pm
seeker wrote:
"the 12 pesukim?"

The Rebbe said every child should say the 12 pesukim daily to ease the birth pangs of moshiach.

I think they have a printout here http://www.chabad.org/kids/art.....s.htm

I do try to sing them daily with my 2 year old and he really enjoys it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note