Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help me keep them in their beds!!!

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 11:47 am
I have a 4 year old and an almost 3 year old. They keep coming out of their room every single night. I put them to sleep in their rooms and they come to my room by 12 or 1 every night. My dh is amazing and tries to bring them back to their beds. He even sleeps there with them a lot of nights...however this can't keep happening. They need to stay in their rooms!
I am trying a chart. After 20 nights they stay in their room till 5 am they get a sticker. (My son can tell time abd I gave him a clock to make sure ots past 5 am) After 10 nights they get a prize...it is not working.
I need more ideas what to do.

Thanks

momX4

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 11:54 am
Most little kids need instant rewards. Prepare 5 chocolate chips every night per child. Everytime they come out of bed they lose one. They can eat it after breakfast.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 11:57 am
Op here. Thanks for the suggestions I will try it.

I hope it works. ...

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 12:01 pm
Daily reward in addition to a weekly/longer term reward.
Also praise them for listening when they go back to their room.

kb

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 12:10 pm
Lock your door

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 12:19 pm
My almost 5 year old knows that he can get a hot chocolate in the morning if he wakes up dry or gets himself dressed and eats breakfast expediently. If he does both sometimes DH will get him a treat after school. DH and I are coffee drinkers so he likes to have a hot drink too.

sprayonlove

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 12:56 pm
I think 10 nights is to long a time for them to wait to receive a reward.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 1:07 pm
Wow. Thanks for all the help. I did the 10 nights because I got them a specific toy they want really badly. They get to see it everyday but can't play with it til there r 10 nights. They helped me make the chart and also picked out the stickers.
If they stay all night....I do give them something special in the morning. I will have to do the instant thing in the morning and see if it helps.

imasinger

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 1:08 pm
Echoing what others have said.

You have to make the initial goal something that is achievable. Okay, try one night. If after 3 tries, there is no behavior change, try rewarding them for only coming out once per night, or for going right back to bed, or for staying in their rooms for 2 hours. Praise enthusiastically and reward the minimal behavior. Then, over time, once they have bought in and want to keep earning those rewards, gradually up the ante.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 11:33 pm
When I had this problem I talked to the kids during the day about how everybody has to sleep in their own beds at night (going through family member's names: Moishy sleeps in Moishy's bed, Yanky sleeps in Yanky's bed, etc). Then I locked my door at night and it didn't take more than a day or two for them to stop trying to come to me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics