Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Huge gown

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 11:41 am
I saw the perfect gown I was looking for at a great price. The problem is it's way too big for me, maybe 3-5 sizes too big. So I'm asking the seamstresses out here for advice. Is it possible to make it my size when it has nice elaborate beading on top? I'm afraid making it smaller will cut the design and it will look weird.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 11:51 am
No one here can give you a straight answer without seeing the gown. I will tell you one thing though, if it is possible to do, it will cost you more than without a gown with beads. It will most likely be a lot of work.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:05 pm
I can't find the actual gown online. It's similar to this design http://www.tbdress.com/product......html
You're right, it might be cheaper to buy a gown in my size at the end. This website seems to have really nice designs and some more or less already tznius gowns. Has anyone ever bought from them?

Leahh

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:47 pm
Most of the gown can probably worked with to fit you. It will be expensive and you may lose a lot of the detail in the beading.
Also, once you start doing so much work to the gown you may not get it to fit perfectly and likely won't be happy with the end result.
I wouldn't recommend it

Fox

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:47 pm
Each dress size represents approximately 2 inches. That means that we're talking about removing 6-10 inches from the fitted bodice and the skirt. The skirt probably wouldn't be so difficult, but taking in that much from the bodice would probably mean removing most of the applique/beading, re-building the bodice, and then sewing everything back on.

While I'm sure it's *possible* to do that, it would require a level of design and pattern-making/altering skill that would come at a pretty high price. In other words, this would *not* be a job for the local seamstress who takes up hems and sews up slits.

If the goal is a great dress without spending too much, you're better off continuing to look for something closer to your true size.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing