Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Need many ideas ASAP! Add to the list

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 9:28 am
I am making a shiur about shabbos, and we need lots and lots of tips on how to make shabbos easily, elegantly, quickly. We are looking for practical tips, instructions, how to set a beautiful atmosphere, table, etc etc

Please list some of your best tips as I am compiling my shiur now...

sourstix

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 9:33 am
putting in exclamation points and asap together makes it sound like emergency. please dont do that unless it is a true emergency. thanks.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 9:36 am
Set the table Thursday night.
No matter how crazy my Friday is I push myself to be ready a few minutes early so I have to "wait" to light as apposed to rushing. The waiting gives my family a feeling of calm, and I love starting shabbos that way.

I would love tips of how to keep my shabbos meal calm, fun and peaceful. Its the only time we eat as a family and there us alot of friction.

underthestars

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 1:21 pm
Well, believe it or not, I start getting ready for shabbos either motzei shabbos (the week before) or sunday morning. I prepare a menu (if I am serving something different, etc) and do the marketing--sunday I try to bake the challot, and another side dish that can be frozen. The rest of the week I slowly work on what needs to be cooked (and delegate to other children if possible). Laundry is done (I try) during the week so I don't have piles sitting on my sofa to fold by friday afternoon, and thursday evening, I try to have the table set (with cloth, challah board and kiddush cup). I try to vacuum the area as well, but it doesn't always help. I work M-F, so before work on friday, I put in the last items to cook (ie-fish or ckn, cholent in crock pot) and someone in my family will turn it off when they leave for work/school (I leave earlier then everyone else). Salads are done usually thursday when I get home from work )I already have the ingredients since I went shopping on sunday) and any last minute things that need to be done friday, I have a check list to go over. Philosophy is though, whatever can be done ahead of time, do (ie-rip toilet paper, etc) When I cook/bake, I try to double it to have in the freezer in case one week (or Sunday) I am so busy I don't have time to do my usual--this way there is backup...

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 6:29 pm
Creating Shabbat atmosphere is not just the job for a wife/mother. Get EVERYONE in the family involved, give them chores they need to pitch in. That way, EVERYONE gets to have credit for it.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 6:48 pm
Could you post your shiur online so we can hear it? Sounds interesting.

cbg

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 7:20 pm
Invite guests on Monday
Make menu on Tuesday
Shop Wednesday (Also Linen washing)
Cook Thursday
Clean/Set Table Friday
Cleaning help a MUST Monday and Friday

I fold napkins like a fan. I learned on YouTube, easy and elegant.

tweety1

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 9:34 pm
Last load of laundry for the week on thursday morning unless it's an EMERGENCY. Dishes that can be frozen make for a few weeks in a row. I just started making 4 potato Kugels at a time for 4 weeks. It made a HUGE difference. Bathe kids thurs night-this also makes a big difference for me. No shopping on thursday/friday unless it's l'kuvid shabbos. Thursday night gets a quickie for supper exp fish sticks and noodles/ketchup.

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 9:47 pm
Since this is a winter Shabbos, maybe focus more on calm atmosphere over the Martha Stewart stuff.
What could be helpful is suggesting that one week, one charts all the prep, I.e. soup made when, laundry done when, etc. Like a food diary. Not to beat yourself up but to see what you make when and if and how it could be made earlier, if the laundry could have been done earlier, etc. Then one can make a deadline, like early Friday afternoon and working backwards the next week.

shevi82

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 1:55 am
Motzai Shabbos-Polish the silver before putting away
Sunday-Wash and put away shabbos clothing
Monday-wash linen and clean bathrooms well
Tuesday-bake and dessert (dessert I make once in 3-4 weeks and freeze a few kinds)
Wednesday-iron (from the whole week. I have alot of white shirts that I iron) and clean bedrooms
Thursday night- make dips, fish, soup, kugel, rice, sautéed veggies. Clean living room and the
kids set the table
Friday morning-chicken, cholent, liver. clean kitchen and bathrooms
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note