Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Please help me get ds 20 months to sleep in his own bed!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 11:59 am
For the last few months, ds has been sleeping in my bed, waking up several times, and nursing like a newborn (I know, terrible Sad ). I'd like to stop it once and for all. I'd like him to sleep in his own bed, and stop waking up at night. Over the next few months, I hope to wean him completely.
Last night, I nursed him to sleep and put him in his crib. He's a very light sleeper and woke up and began screeching. He seems to be terrified to stay in his crib by himself. I wanted to let him cry himself to sleep, but after crying for a long while, I lay down with him in his sister's bed until he fell asleep and let him sleep there. I was unsure what the correct step should be. On one hand, I don't want him to learn that if he cries long enough, Mommy will give in, but on the other hand, I feel that the best way is to train him slowly, step by step. I did not want to traumatize him by "throwing him into the deep water". Also, he just started attending day care last week and he's still a bit traumatized. And he was waking up the whole house by crying.
I don't mind getting up to nurse him several times, as long as he goes back to sleep on his own crib. Once he's comfortable enough in his own bed, I'd like to stop weaning him completely.

Advice?

sleepless

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:02 pm
I'm in the same boat. Ds is about the same age and he only wants to sleep in my bed. I'd love to get some advice

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:42 pm
My ds this age doesn't sleep in his own bed either. He sleeps in dh bed officially.

musicmom

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 1:06 pm
You can put his mattress on the floor. That way, if he gets up in his own room, he can amuse himself with toys. He should learn quickly where his own room is.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 1:07 pm
Yes. And one transition at a time. Let him get used to school, then go on to the next big change.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 7:27 pm
Please, ladies, it's almost ds's bedtime. In need of more tips...
Thanks to those who responded.

littleprincess

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 7:56 pm
Ds is 17 months and he falls asleep in my bed and then dh takes him for the night. I tried letting him cry but he would cry non stop. I can sometimes put him in his bed once he's asleep for a few hours but he always ends up in one of our beds.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 8:00 pm
amother wrote:
My ds this age doesn't sleep in his own bed either. He sleeps in dh bed officially.

I got a hug here. Why?? If dh doesn't mind what's wrong? Dh grew up in a household where his mother has 52" beds and slept with 2 or 3 kids in her bed. He has a crush on my son and actually likes it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics