Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
DO OT's work with children on social skills

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 5:27 pm
Or if not, who does?

I have some concerns about DS and things he tells me about playing with other children. He already goes to OT once a week can I ask her to work on that with him or do I need to find a different therapist for that?

joystock

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 5:44 pm
No they don't. You should find a speech therapist who specializes in social pragmatics aka social skills, or a social worker ... hatzlacha

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 6:08 pm
Social workers and special education teachers work on social skills. It depends if you are paying privately or not. If you are paying privately then it's cheaper to get a person with a special education degree who is also trained in social skills training. If your insurance is paying then they may cover a social worker who does this.

It's also possible to get it funded through the education department of your district and that would fund people who have training in special education and in social skills.

imasinger

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 6:22 pm
joystock wrote:
No they don't. You should find a speech therapist who specializes in social pragmatics aka social skills, or a social worker ... hatzlacha

This.

Or both.

The more work you do early in life, the sooner a kid learns how to fit in with peers, and the gains pay off exponentially over time.

belovedaz

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 7:11 pm
I think social skills are for a speech therapist or a special ed provider

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 7:24 pm
Thanks!

busydev

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 11:02 pm
DS's OT did do a bit of social skills with him. taught him about personal space and looking at faces a couple times.

He is actually going to be starting a social skills group soon run by social workers- you can pm me for info since we live in the same place. there also is another place here that does all therapies and has social skills groups as well (but the place DS is going to has a sliding scale and im pretty sure the other one doesnt)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)