Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Pregnant + new job

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 12:25 pm
For a long time we have been trying to move to a certain community. It's a small town with not a great job market but we felt it was a good fit for our family for a number of reasons.

Finally things are falling into place, I was offered a job in the location I wanted, but I find out I'm pregnant.

When I interviewed for this job I was in the very early stages of pregnancy. By the time I start I will definitely be showing.

I know there are legal protections in place for situations like this. I have also been pregnant under stressful conditions before and somehow it worked out. My worry in this scenario is that they will be annoyed with me for "hoodwinking" them and will be nitpicking my performance to find an excuse to get rid of me.

The person currently in this job is overwhelmed with work which is why they created a new position to relieve some of her burden. If I take off for maternity leave it will not be easy to find a replacement especially since they expect the workload to expand once they hire a new person. Also I will not be eligible for paid leave (while I would be in my current job).

The rational part of me is sayiing it makes more sense to wait a year and move after the birth. By then though this position will not be available and who knows what I will be able to get. I have a good job here but housing is completely unaffordable and I cannot keep living in our current situatino especially with a new baby on the way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics