Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
If you don't wear robes...

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 1:36 pm
If you don't wear robes, what do you think if your guest wears a robe? In my community many women wear robes on Shabbos and at the time being my only decent Shabbos clothes are robes. I know some people don't consider robes as proper clothing so I'm asking you.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 1:49 pm
WEIRD - answering your question "If you don't wear robes, what do you think if your guest wears a robe?". We get dressed for Shabbos. I would think that they're not so into Shabbos - Laze around in my pajamas/robe till it's over. I get dressed. I go out to shul. I visit friends and friends come here. Shabbos isn't a teenage pajama party. If I was in a robe I would curl up on the couch and not sit at the table.

But I'm not from a community where women wear robes on Shabbos

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 2:06 pm
I live in my Shabbos robe when we're home. I wouldn't wear it as a guest though.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 2:09 pm
It depends on the relationship. If my sister or sister in law turned up in a robe I wouldn't bat an eyelid. If someone else did I probably would think it is a bit strange not to get dressed (I always get dressed if I go out, sometimes in a long dress but always dressed).
But in my community it is totally normal to wear a robe or two piece all shabbos. For the amount spent on these robes I would also want to wear it all the time (FTR I don't own a shabbos robe at this time).

pesek zman

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 2:11 pm
Each to her own and I certainly want my guests to feel comfortable but I would think that if she were in a robe in a home in which the hostess is wearing clothes that SHE would feel uncomfortable.

MamaBear

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 2:16 pm
If the robe looks like a dress, then it's a dress so why not wear it out and about.

If the robe looks like a robe, then it's a robe and why in heavens would you wear it in public unless it's pajama day at shul?

So that's my modern orthodox opinion. But I suspect that's not the crowd being discussed.

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 2:38 pm
Depends on the robe and the circumstances.

There are absolutely gorgeous robes that resemble beautiful hostess gowns and there are velour robes that are essentially lounge wear that frum women wear instead of a track suit. LOL

And depends who you are visiting. If it is relatives, sure why not as I don't worry so much as family is where you don't have to worry about formalities.

But if my hostess didn't wear and the guests didn't wear, I would feel strange absent extenuating circumstances - I.e. I was just spending the day with good friends/relatives and people popped in to visit.

kollel wife

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 2:50 pm
If I went somewhere, weekday, Shabbos, Bar Mitzvah, etc. and was less dressed ("underdressed" is that the right word) or dressed very differently than everyone else, I would feel uncomfortable.

So true on Shabbos, unless it's close family. If all are wearing clothing and I'm wearing a very nice Shabbos robe, I'd still feel underdressed.

You may not have a choice if you have nothing else. Can you dress up something weekday-ish - would you feel better like that?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics