Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Calling everyone names

LO

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 12:19 pm
I have a 3 1/2 yr old daughter, who has a very strong personality (to put it nicely). She used to hit all of us, and I would put her in her crib when she did it, so now she does it less (at least to me and dh - still hits siblings). She also calls everyone names - baby, stupid, cookoo-head, etc. She sort of chants it in a way that makes me think that she doesn't understand what those words mean, just copies someone she heard (I.e. big sisters). I don't know how to handle it because I can't possibly put her into her crib or time-out so often, although I DO put her in her crib if she does that to me or DH. I tried to explain to her that it's not nice and she can't say that......Can someone please give me an idea of how to handle this? Thanks in advance!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 3:01 pm
It's the age. My 3-year-old neighbor, who has lovely parents and is otherwise a sweet little boy, has been experimenting with this of late. I greet him, and he says "Hi Eewy" or other such, to the discomfort and embarrassment of his poor mother....

It's okay. I completely ignore the name, giving it absolutely no negative attention whatsoever. I'm positive he will outgrow it.

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 3:43 pm
Reward her with praise or attention for using nice words. Tell her in advance that you love her, and you will only pay attention to her when she uses your proper name. If she says, "Hi, coockoo head" to you, turn your back on her, and when she says, "Hi, Mommy", tell her how happy you are to see her and hear her talking so nicely.

When she does it to siblings, you can remind her of what she is supposed to say. Possibly consider coaching them to ignore her when she does it too.

And correct the rest of the family when they do it, too. Name calling is insidious.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers