Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Can someone explain why a vest is worn instead of a coat?

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 9:27 pm
If it's cold, I would want my child to wear a coat with sleeves.

It's so weird to wear a puffer type vest without sleeves. If you need the warmth of a down/puffer jacket then why should the arms be cold?

It also looks weird - like where is the rest of your coat?

But it is trendy and mothers are dressing their kids in this style since they want to look "with it"/ cool ..... but is it really?

Why did you buy it?

For style or is there a practical reason?

Maya

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 9:31 pm
I've always wondered that myself. I have some for myself, but never got any for my kids. I always wear fewer layers than I need, but if I think my kids will be cold then they need a jacket.

lizard8

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 9:33 pm
I think majority dress their kids in vests for the spring/fall as apposed to real winter weather. Kids like being able to play outside with more arm freedom.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 9:34 pm
I don't get it either.

What

mommyla

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 9:37 pm
My son has one. It's not for very cold weather, he wears it on a day that he'd wear a sweatshirt. I find it keeps him warm to approximately the same degree and he likes it better, it's less restrictive.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 9:38 pm
A vest keeps your core warm while allowing lots of ventilation. My 6-year-old runs very hot and often complains about wearing a sweatshirt or jacket with full coverage, but is more willing to wear a vest. If his hands are warm and he seems comfortable, I don't care if he just has a single layer of long-sleeved cotton t-shirt covering his arms.

(Note: I can only comment on practicality. I have no talent for knowing the whats and whys of trending fashion...)

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 10:13 pm
When I'm outdoors and active a vest makes sense, it's not as restrictive as coat or jacket sleeves.

champion

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 2:20 am
It looks like an ammunition vest. its ugly. its stupid. people are wearing it because its in. they are also wearing the same glasses they used to laugh at just a mere 3 years ago.
thats fashion.
it usually makes no sense. Yet people wear it. Many even pump so much reason into why they are wearing it that you wonder why they stopped two years... shock shock shock

bigblueyes

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 2:49 am
Its not for the real winter, its for the spring and fall, and its been trending for a good 8 years or even more. So I think its a practical addition to our jacket collections that is probAbly here to stay.

joss3

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 12:01 pm
Vests work! They keep your organs warm, so the body can circulate blood to your extremities and keep them warm instead. Normally the body would direct warmth to vital organs.

I hate driving while wearing a coat, the sleeves make me too constricted so I wear a down vest all winter.
My kids wear them in fall and spring, on top of sweatshirts at the morning bus stop. By the afternoon it is warm enough just for sweatshirts.
Vests are also great for ice skating, keeping your arms free for balance and movement.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 12:07 pm
My girls love vest jackets for ice skating. It's much more freeing while providing needed warmth.

I love it for driving. I like being able to move my arms more freely. I live in my gap hooded vest jacket (and the hood is great for a sudden drizzle....)

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 8:35 am
I haven't seen them for a good decade

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 8:43 am
I never understood vests, but that's because my arms and hands get cold so easily. It makes a bit more sense, now that some vest wearers explained it. I'll still stick to my coat, though.

I never tell DD what to wear for outerwear. She knows her body temperature better than I do, she runs very hot, and she knows exactly how warm her coat choices are. She's a sensory kid, and if I made her wear something she didn't think she'd need, she'd throw a fit.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 9:06 am
If it's stylish there doesn't have to be a rhyme or reason
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics