Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Hunting?
Previous  1  2

imasoftov

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 4:12 am
Bava Metzia 85b says how Rabbi Chiya planted flax, made nets from the flax, trapped deers, gave the meat to orphans, wrote Sifrei Torah on the skins, brought them to a town without teachers, and used the torahs to teach children.

Presumably he shechted them before feeding the meat to orphans.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 4:34 am
water_bear88 wrote:
Based on the 39 melachot, you need to trap the animal and then shecht it. (Trapping is one before shechting in the list.)

Obviously, pikuach nefesh is a different story. If you needed meat for health reasons, couldn't set kosher traps and couldn't get hold of kosher domestic animals, presumably you'd have to eat a treifah or neveila.

Not relevant to a real-life hunter, just a comment on your use of the 39 melachot, practically it's easier to trap an animal before shechting it, but if someone snuck up on a wild animal and shechted it before it realized what was happening, seems to me it would be kosher.

water_bear88

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 4:41 am
imasoftov wrote:
Not relevant to a real-life hunter, just a comment on your use of the 39 melachot, practically it's easier to trap an animal before shechting it, but if someone snuck up on a wild animal and shechted it before it realized what was happening, seems to me it would be kosher.

Agreed, but I'll add- normally one plows before planting (or at least digs a hole, which still counts as חורש), but hydroponics somehow works without that.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 6:05 am
Can anyone cite a responsa on hunting? I always thought hunting was stam not allowed — that the animal would have to be trapped and then shechted. The only things I can find are about hunting for sport, which is not the same as hunting for meat.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 6:15 am
It's mostly forbidden or discouraged unless c'v pressing need.
Do read this, though https://www.ou.org/jewish_acti.....king/
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics