Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Wondering if I got ripped off

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 11:10 pm
I brought 6 stuff to a seamstress (works from her house) and she charged me $166 for the alterations.

Put 5 buttons on a shirt - $10

Take in a skirt since there was too much material (The waist was good but just wanted it to be more straight) - $30

Add a small Zipper to a sweater - $18

Hem up Shirt and take it in - $45

Hem up a Cardigan & hem sleeves - $33

Take in Sleeves on Shirt since they were too wide - (This was done by hand since there were sequins all over the sleeves) - $30

workaholicmama

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 11:12 pm
I don't think you were ripped off. Though it sounds like a lot at first glance, if you look thru the prices you quoted it really sounds reasonable...

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 11:36 am
Bump...anyone else have any feedback?

shoshanim999

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 11:40 am
I also think that those are in the higher end of fair pricing. Sometimes when I bring in clothes for tailoring or fixing I ask how much it will be before they print the ticket. I figure that there's a chance if they think that I won't give it in unless it's a reasonable price then they will give a better price. I'm not sure if this works.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 11:53 am
The question isn't necessarily if she's charging too much, the question is if it's worth it to you. Would you rather spend a half hour sewing on 5 buttons or would you rather pay someone $10 to do it?

gande

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 12:14 pm
Sounds pretty expensive but everyone has the right to charge whatever they want. The question is, did she do quality work, or just make a seem down the side to take in the skirt without snipping and finishing the seam.

I use someone cheap but I know that it is not 1000% perfect. It depends what your priorities are.

2cents

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 12:38 pm
Doesn't sound like a rip off once you consider the jobs you had her do. It's not like she charged that much for hemming six pairs if pants. I have family members who so seamstress/tailoring work, and those sound like time and skill consuming jobs.

Fox

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 12:42 pm
I agree with WorkaholicMama: when you break down the total cost, it's relatively reasonable.

Also, there are potential hidden complexities in several of the items you mention:

* Did sewing on buttons also involve making buttonholes?

* Taking in a blouse is often a huge deal, especially if there are darts. Also problematic if the fabric is especially slippery.

* Taking in a skirt (or pants) requires tapering the garment to achieve the desired silhouette and fit. You can't just sew a straight seam and cut off the extra.

* Adding a zipper to an existing garment is a nightmare, especially a sweater-type knit. $18 was a chesed, IMHO.

* Was the cardigan also a sweater-type knit? Those are really hard to do alterations on; you need to serge raw edges and use a double-needle to achieve a nice look.

Alterations are a particularly demanding type of sewing. Trying to take ready-made garments and re-make them involves tailoring skills as well as a fundamental understanding of pattern-making . . . and a ton of experience.

There's nothing quite as great as clothing that really, really fits. But there's a reason we don't take every t-shirt made in China to our local seamstresses: the cost of the labor and expertise required makes it practical only for very good clothes that we'll wear for years if not decades.

So swallow hard and pay the price to have the really good stuff professionally altered. The rest of it? Push up the sleeves and pretend you're channeling Miami Vice circa 1985.

shoshanim999

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 12:52 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
The question isn't necessarily if she's charging too much, the question is if it's worth it to you. Would you rather spend a half hour sewing on 5 buttons or would you rather pay someone $10 to do it?

Actually I think the question is whether the OP was getting ripped off. Just because I can't change a flat tire doesn't mean someone has the right to charge me $500 for the job. Just because the OP would rather pay someone to sew for her doesn't mean that she isn't entitled to a fair price.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 12:54 pm
I got a $35 dress at HM and got it fixed for $60. Rolling Eyes

gp2.0

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 1:01 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
Actually I think the question is whether the OP was getting ripped off. Just because I can't change a flat tire doesn't mean someone has the right to charge me $500 for the job. Just because the OP would rather pay someone to sew for her doesn't mean that she isn't entitled to a fair price.

It always depends on how much you're willing to pay. If op isn't willing to pay $10 for sewing buttons, she can shop around to see if anyone is providing this service for less money. If I can't change a flat tire and I have the time and ability to shop around, I can find someone to do it for $50 instead of $500. If I'm on the highway in the middle of nowhere and have to call someone to drive over and change my tire, well then my options are paying whatever they ask or staying stranded.

That's what I meant - there's no point in asking if you're being overcharged if the service is worth a specific amount to you.

It's the same with groceries - your local grocery might be more expensive than the one 3 miles away. If you shop at the local grocery are they overcharging you?

chani8

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 7:16 am
For the very special talent of tailoring, you weren't ripped off. You got the deal of the century.

November

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 7:24 am
Next time it might pay to get a second opinion. After being quoted a price, you should feel free to say OK thanks, I want to think about it. You can even say That sounds high to me. Can you do any better? For that amount of work, I think they'd be able to give a discount in order to keep your business.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 9:41 am
shoshanim999 wrote:

She can go with someone else if she doesn't want to pay that price. If she can't find someone cheaper, then she can either do without (only buy clothes that don't need alterations, discard clothes that need repair) or learn to do it herself.

As someone who does most of my family's alterations myself, I save a bundle by doing so because lots of clothes today need to be taken in, lengthened, etc..besides for the wear and tear to clothes that necessitate repairs - buttons that fall off, hems that fall down, holes along seem lines, etc...

When I buy something that needs very expert, more difficult work, I will sometimes go to a tailor...and then, I go to an expensive place because I want a really nice job, otherwise I'd do it myself. For example, I bought DD a dress for a great price in the mall, but it needed to be extended with fabric, and it was scuba, and I hate working with that...so I paid to have that done, and it wasn't cheap.

I sometimes do alterations for my siblings and it's very time consuming - and usually right before Yom Tov or camp, too. Taking in my niece's 3 new uniform blouses and sweater took the better part of an evening. If I was doing this as a profession, I'd charge top dollar.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 9:48 am
I echo all the above.

Always get an estimate first.

Your prices varied from "reasonable" to "real bargain". No ripoffs there.

I've done plenty of hand sewing and alterations, as well as costuming for theater, and I know how hard it is to get things to fit right, hang right, and not look like they've been patchke'd with.

cnc

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 10:43 am
Everything sounds expensive to me besides for the buttons. The buttons seem pretty reasonable.
(Basing this on on the amount I pay for similar alterations .)

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
I brought 6 stuff to a seamstress (works from her house) and she charged me $166 for the alterations.

Put 5 buttons on a shirt - $10

Take in a skirt since there was too much material (The waist was good but just wanted it to be more straight) - $30

Add a small Zipper to a sweater - $18

Hem up Shirt and take it in - $45

Hem up a Cardigan & hem sleeves - $33

Take in Sleeves on Shirt since they were too wide - (This was done by hand since there were sequins all over the sleeves) - $30

Where was this
For Lakewood that's cheap

oliveoil

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 1:24 pm
taking in clothes and adding zippers is a whole different ball game than a simple hem. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics