Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Brownies are never done in the time recipe says

mashcsch

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 5:54 pm
Brownie recipes usually say to bake roughly half an hour. I find that I always have to bake much longer. The recipe I made today took an extra 17 minutes! Other cakes are ready just fine so I don't think it's the oven. Any thoughts? I am using the right size pan.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 5:57 pm
Brownies taste best undercooked! I always reduce cooking times for brownies. Do you prefer your brownies dry?

mashcsch

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 5:58 pm
I just don't want them raw. Lol!

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 6:03 pm
Depends on how you like them. I like everything really well done so I always leave it cooking longer than the recipe says. Usually MUCH longer. (Oh, and some recipes lie. I think I posted about that somewhere.) But I find baked good that are wet inside revolting--other people call that "moist and succulent." If your baked goods are coming out the way you like, what's your problem?

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 6:05 pm
I am with Rubber Ducky as most brownie recipes try to,achieve a very moist fudged texture which is not like that of a cake so you might be overtaking because you don't want the results.

That said, there are recipes which are intended to produce more of a cake like finished product and perhaps you would be better off starting with that kind of brownie recipe.

I'm a fan of dense chewy fudgey brownies myself but each to their own.

Some people like the outer corners and there is a brownie pan sold by William Sonomo which produces only corners. :-)

mashcsch

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 6:05 pm
Just wondering why it keeps happening specifically with brownies.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 6:12 pm
mashcsch wrote:
Just wondering why it keeps happening specifically with brownies.

Here's a better explanation of the difference between cakey brownies and fudgey brownies with tips on how to achieve a more cake like result which is what you seem to prefer.

http://www.grandbaby-cakes.com.....nies/

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 6:23 pm
Amarante wrote:

Some people like the outer corners and there is a brownie pan sold by William Sonomo which produces only corners. :-)

And is impossible to clean. Just saying.

mashcsch

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 6:29 pm
But the recipe says to bake x amount of minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 6:34 pm
If the toothpick comes out clean on brownies they're way overcooked! Maybe you could search out recipes for cake brownies.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 6:42 pm
"Clean" is also a relative term. I interpret it as bone-dry, not a speck on it. Many people interpret it as "not obviously wet with batter" in which case a few moist crumbs are acceptable. This makes a difference in the texture.

Notice that the recipe says "X minutes OR until a toothpick etc". This is to allow for differences in pan size, shape, material, color; differences in oven performance; and differences in the materials you use. In humid weather your dry ingredients will contain more water than they do in dry weather, for example; your eggs may be slightly smaller or larger than the size the recipe developer used, and so on. Professional pastry chefs weigh rather than measure ingredients, and the real top commercial pros analyze ingredients for water, protein, carbohydrate content, among other factors, and reject ingredients that don't match their specs, to make sure the results are the ones they want. In your kitchen you can't do that, so there will be differences.

Bottom line, if you find that your 30-minute brownies take 45 minutes in your kitchen, make a note in your cookbook. That's how YOU like them, and that's all that matters.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 6:47 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
If the toothpick comes out clean on brownies they're way overcooked! .

For YOUR taste. Apparently not for OP's. Not everyone likes brownies you have to eat with a spoon. And no, they're not cake-like brownies, they're much more dense, but dry enough to hold in your hand without looking like a three-year-old who licked the spoon.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 11:30 pm
how thick are you making them? I see lots of ppl making brownies way too thick and then yes, they don't cook properly.

buzz

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 1:18 am
I have an amazing choc chip brownie that cooks in 38 min exactly if you interested - and yes it is gooey and not raw, and crunchy on top - its heaven!!

etky

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 1:31 am
I'm with Zaq - I like my brownies well-done. I have a loathing of anything even slightly jiggly and underdone. No chocolate volcano cakes in this house.
That doesn't have to mean a dry brownie at all.
However, I do think it is more difficult to find a really good recipe that will yield a brownie that is moist, densely chocolatey but yet w/o that underdone, sludgy texture.
I have a few recipes that I alternate between but I haven't yet found my 'holy grail'.
If anyone has a good one for this type of brownie I'd be thrilled to attempt it. I'm always on the lookout for a better brownie recipe.
BTW OP, I've found that the type of pan is important too.
I have a really dense cocoa based recipe (cocoa can make things heavy and can easily produce that 'sludgy' texture) that comes out much better in an aluminum pan than in the glass pan that I use for other brownie recipes.

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 6:42 am
Brownie recipes I have known and loved :-). Maida Heatter which I think is more on the cakey side; Ina Garten's Outrageous Brownies even without the Oreos. The one on the back of Bakers a chocolate is actually pretty fine as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins