Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Blanket dilemma- what is fair?

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 6:55 pm
I can't figure out what is the fairest way to solve this dilemma.

We got a new bunk bed a few months ago, and all of my children wanted to sleep on the top. The second choice was the bottom bed, and our old high riser was the worst bed in their opinion. My kids decided to take turns, switching beds every night.

We also got a new blanket that all the kids wanted, so we decided that it would stay on the high riser and whoever had to sleep there got to use the blanket.

Recently, dd1 decided she would rather have her own bed and not switch, even if it means she has to give up the top bed. She chose the bottom bed to be her own. Dd2 decided she also didn't want to switch, so she got the high riser- and the blanket- for herself. Ds got the top bunk bed for himself, which is a little funny, but whatever.

Now dd1 wants to still have turns for the good blanket. Dd2 thinks she should always get it, because she always gets the high riser. Ds doesn't care about it. Dh suggested that dd1 should get it for one week, then dd2 should get it for 2 weeks, dd1 for one week... but both girls are not happy with that.

What do you guys think is fair?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 6:57 pm
Buy two more blankets.

Rutabaga

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 7:00 pm
Tell your children that you're going to cut the blanket in half to be fair and whichever one stops you and is mevater should get it.

:wink

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 7:00 pm
I am thinking of ordering more blankets, even though we don't need more. But until it comes, we need to stop this war.

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 7:01 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Tell your children that you're going to cut the blanket in half to be fair and whichever one stops you and is mevater should get it.

:wink

haha. They would probably both be thrilled with that suggestion.

animeme

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 7:04 pm
If you order the blankets tomorrow, you will have an easier time with the kids who don't have it now. Beds and blankets to me don't do well rotating. We get attached to them and the comfort of them.

You have a kid on a high riser. At some point, you will need to pull out the bottom bed to accommodate a guest, or move dd to a floor and accomodate two. You will come to use those blankets. It's worth it.

imasinger

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 7:05 pm
So, DD1 got first pick of sleeping place, and DD2, who got the least desirable choice, thinks that she should get the "good" blanket because she has the "bad" bed.

Aquamarine's answer makes sense, but DD2 will feel slighted because she doesn't have anything special to make up for the least desirable sleepng choice.

Is there anything that DD2 might like that would help her feel better? Maybe 10 extra minutes each night before lights out, or an extra activity with you before bed? Or a special pillow that is just for her bed? Or a little shelf for her things?

MGmom

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 7:07 pm
Honestly I would take this as an opportunity to teach them fairness and kindness. Deal was that whoever gets the hi riser gets the blanket, now If the other kid wants it explain to her that when nobody wanted to give in to sleeping there she was only one being so kind so she got the privilege which is quite easy to understand. Now if the hiriser sister is willing to be nice again and wants to share then fine. Otherwise she gotta be happy with what she has.

Or like my mom would say it's either everyone or no one so if there's no sharing then u gotta cover yourself w a sheet!

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 7:26 pm
imasinger wrote:
So, DD1 got first pick of sleeping place, and DD2, who got the least desirable choice, thinks that she should get the "good" blanket because she has the "bad" bed.

Aquamarine's answer makes sense, but DD2 will feel slighted because she doesn't have anything special to make up for the least desirable sleepng choice.

Is there anything that DD2 might like that would help her feel better? Maybe 10 extra minutes each night before lights out, or an extra activity with you before bed? Or a special pillow that is just for her bed? Or a little shelf for her things?

Actually, dd2 wants me to get another blanket, and now ds requested one as well. I guess we'll be ordering two blankets that we don't actually need.

5*Mom

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 9:56 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
Actually, dd2 wants me to get another blanket, and now ds requested one as well. I guess we'll be ordering two blankets that we don't actually need.

I'm all for having lots of blankets in the house, but in your situation I wouldn't do this just now. Bad bed = good blanket. That was the understanding and I think it should stand. They'll whine and fuss, you'll nod and smile and eventually they'll get over it. Then you can buy new blankets.

chani8

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 9:59 pm
You cant change the rules now. The one who took the high riser was told that the blanket came with the high riser. You can speak with DD who took the bottom bunk and discuss getting her a nice blanket for chanuka or something, just because she wants a nice blanket.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics