Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
BELUGA LENTIL SOUP WITH MARROW BONES

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 8:40 am
BELUGA LENTIL SOUP WITH MARROW BONES

Notes are by the author of the cookbook who owns an Israeli restaurant in the USA. Lots of other great recipes in the book for elevated standards. I would be happy to post if there is any interest. His tahina version is reputed to be excellent although Ottolengi"s Jerusalem cookbook also has a famous version.

Source: Michael Solomonov - Zahav

Serves 4

LENTILS ARE A STAPLE in the Middle East and one of the healthiest foods you can eat. They take on a deep, earthy flavor that is satisfying in a meaty way. On a cold day, I could eat a gallon of this soup. The rich fragrance of onions cooking with baharat in a pan instantly transports me to Israel. Though it’s not traditional, I use beluga lentils because they retain their shape after cooking, which gives the soup texture and a slightly more elegant presentation.

Bone marrow is mild and buttery, and a by-product of this recipe, so I urge you to give it a try. The bones are briefly roasted so that you can easily remove the marrow. Then the bones are returned to the soup to add richness to the broth. The marrow can be spread on toast with a bit of salt or pureed with some of the cooked lentils to give the soup an extra creamy texture.

Ingredients

4 marrow bones, about 4 inches long
Kosher salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, slivered
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 celery rib, diced
1 cup tomato puree
2 tablespoons baharat (see sidebar)
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 cups dry white wine
1 cup beluga lentils, rinsed
1 quart My Chicken Stock (see recipe)
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for serving
1 rosemary or sage sprig
Finely grated zest of ½ lemon

● Put the marrow bones in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add several pinches of salt and let soak for 2 hours to remove impurities.

● Preheat the oven to 450°F. Drain the marrow bones, pat dry with paper towels, and set in a rimmed baking pan. Roast until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight. Extract the marrow from the bones with the handle of a wooden spoon and store in the refrigerator. Reserve the bones.

● Warm the oil in a large pot over medium-low heat and add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and 1 tablespoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have softened but not begun to brown, about 15 minutes. Add the tomato puree and cook for 5 more minutes. Add the baharat, black pepper, and wine. Raise the heat to medium-high and cook until the wine has evaporated, about 10 minutes.

● Add the lentils and chicken stock, raise the heat, and bring to a simmer. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up the business on the bottom of the pan. Add the reserved marrow bones, cilantro, parsley, rosemary or sage, and lemon zest. Cover, lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. Return the marrow to the soup and heat through. Ladle the soup into bowls, scatter chopped parsley on top, and serve.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics