Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Favorite soup recipes!!!!

Chew21

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 8:31 pm
Please post your favorite soup recipes. I would like to make in advance and freeze.

dee's mommy

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 8:47 pm
No recipe precisely, but I think I once had a written recipe:

Butternut squash soup:

Cut up an onion (or more than one onion) and saute

Peel and seed and cut up a butternut squash. Add to pot and enough water to cover. Boil and cook till soft. mash by hand, or immersion blender or food processor. Add salt, pepper and curry powder. (I'm sure the original recipe had exact amounts, but I just guess the amounts till it tastes okay.)

Mine and my daughter's favourite.

tweety1

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 9:18 pm
dee's mommy wrote:
No recipe precisely, but I think I once had a written recipe:

Butternut squash soup:

Cut up an onion (or more than one onion) and saute

Peel and seed and cut up a butternut squash. Add to pot and enough water to cover. Boil and cook till soft. mash by hand, or immersion blender or food processor. Add salt, pepper and curry powder. (I'm sure the original recipe had exact amounts, but I just guess the amounts till it tastes okay.)

Mine and my daughter's favourite.

I make similar. I add carrots and sweet potatoes, without curry. My kids favorite. The orange soup? Yay!

Amarante

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 9:47 pm
This is a really good interpretation of the old squash soup with apples and curry variant. Roasting the squash with maple syrup really added a layer of flavor wile the garam masala was delicious.

I didn't have Braeburn apples so I used a combination of Granny Smith and Galas and sherry.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Apples and Garam Masala
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Cooking Light
Serving Size: 8

Ingredients:

8 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 2 medium)
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/4 teaspoons garam masala
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
4 cups chopped peeled Braeburn apple (about 1 pound)
1/4 cup sweet white wine
3 cups water
1 can (14-ounce) fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons soy milk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400�.
Combine squash, 2 tablespoons oil, syrup, salt, garam masala, and pepper in a large bowl. Arrange squash in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400� for 45 minutes or until soft.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; saut� 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in apple; saut� 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in wine; cook 1 minute. Stir in squash, water, and broth. Bring to a simmer; cook 3 minutes. Place half of soup in a blender; process until smooth. Strain mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Repeat procedure with remaining half of soup. Stir in soy milk.

Notes:

While traditional curry powders often use turmeric as a base, garam masala, a North Indian spice blend, starts with a mix of cardamom, coriander, and black pepper. If you can't find Braeburn apples, Cortland apples will do. Use two percent reduced-fat milk in place of soy milk, if you prefer.

Nutritional Information:

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: About 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 203(25% from fat); FAT 5.6g (sat 0.8g,mono 3.8g,poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 3.4g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 130mg; SODIUM 327mg; FIBER 5.9g; IRON 2.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 40g

Amarante

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 9:50 pm
Bree's Lentil-Tomato Soup

Spice up a hearty lentil soup with cumin, turmeric, chili powder and ground red pepper, and stir in canned diced tomato for both color and additional flavor.

Yield: 11 servings. (serving size: 1 cup)

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 1/3 cups water
2 1/3 cups dried lentils
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 (14 1/2-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
Chopped fresh tomatoes (optional)
Cilantro sprig (optional)

Preparation

Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion; sauté for 3 minutes or until tender. Add the turmeric and the next 6 ingredients (turmeric through garlic); sauté for 1 minute. Add water and next 4 ingredients (water through diced tomatoes); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 1 hour.

Reserve 2 cups lentil mixture. Place half of remaining mixture in blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with other half of remaining mixture. Stir in reserved 2 cups lentil mixture. Garnish with chopped tomatoes and a cilantro sprig, if desired.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving

Amarante

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 9:53 pm
Beef Barley Soup with Wild Mushrooms and Parsnips

I read the reviews on the epicurious site and modified accordingly --

I used boneless sirloin cut into stew type pieces but others opted for sliced short ribs as easier to work with and procure than beef shank slices.

I used regular baby bella mushrooms but did use a package of the dried mushrooms soaked in water. Reviews seemed mixed as to whether the wild mushrooms in the soup were overpowered and therefore a waste -- some raved and others felt their flavor was lost.

I only used the 8 cups of beef broth plus 1 cup of the mushroom soaking liquid.

Recipe By: Bon Appétit

Yield: Makes 8 servings

Summary:

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 lbs. assorted fresh wild mushrooms (such as crimini and oyster), sliced
3/4 lbs. onions, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
3 1/2 lbs. center-cut beef shank slices (about 3/4 to 1 inch thick)
8 cups canned beef broth
7 cups water
1 1/4 lbs. red bell peppers, chopped
1 lb. parsnips, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 lb. carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 3/4 cups pearl barley (about 9 ounces)
1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes with added puree
2 3/4-ounce packages dried porcini mushrooms (see note below), brushed clean of any grit, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons dried marjoram
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Directions:

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onions. Sauté until mushrooms brown, about 18 minutes. Add celery and garlic and stir 1 minute. Add beef shank slices and all remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat.

Using tongs, remove meat from pot. Cool slightly. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and any tough connective tissue. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to soup. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cool slightly at room temperature. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm over medium heat.)

Note: Porcini mushrooms are available at Italian markets, specialty foods stores and many supermarkets.

Carmen Luna

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 11:28 pm
SPRING GARLIC SOUP

Yields: 6 servings
Ingredients:
3 cups vegetable stock (water is ok)
3 cups diced potato
1/4 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
Pinch cracked black pepper
3/4 cup chopped spring garlic (if you can’t find spring garlic, substitute with green onions and add 3
minced fresh garlic cloves)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream or half and half
3 tablespoons cornstarch
4 tablespoons cold water
3 slices of bread , cut into cubes
Olive oil
Zaatar
Thyme for garnish
Procedure:
1) Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a mixing bowl combine the olive oil, za’atar and bread cubes, toss to coat and spread on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crisp and dry. Check frequently to prevent burning. Cool.
2) Bring stock or water to a boil; add diced potatoes and lower heat to simmer. Add minced garlic and black pepper and cook for 30 minutes.
3) Add spring garlic and heavy cream and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Carefully blend the soup with an immersion blender. The thickness of the soup will depend on starchiness of potato, if the soup is not thick enough, use slurry to fix the thickness level. To make a slurry, mix cornstarch and water together in a bowl. Slowly pour the slurry into the soup, mixing continuously, and bring to a boil to thicken. Adjust seasoning when the soup reaches desired thickness.
4) Serve soup with croutons and sprinkle olive oil and fresh thyme as garnish.

Carmen Luna

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 11:30 pm
EASY BEEF UDON NOODLE SOUP

Yields 4

Ingredients:
1 (8.8 oz.) package Udon noodles
3 cups water
1½ cups Sake (Japanese rice wine)
2 tsp. sugar
Pinch of salt
3 cups thinly sliced onion (2 medium onions)
1 lb. skirt steak*, very thinly sliced crosswise into 2” long strips
4-5 scallions, cut into spears
3-4 tbsp. soy sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
Procedure:
1) Prepare Udon noodles according to package instructions. Rinse, drain and set aside.
2) Meanwhile, combine water, sake, sugar and salt together in a medium pot (4-quart). Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Add onions and simmer together until the onions are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add meat and scallions and simmer until just cooked through, about 2-3 minutes (do not overcook meat or it will become tough). Add 3 tablespoons soy sauce; stir to blend. Season to taste with more soy sauce, if needed, and black pepper.Place 3) Udon noodles in each individual serving bowl and generously ladle hot soup over noodles to cover. Serve and enjoy!
*Skirt steak has excellent flavor and texture, but can be salty. For this reason, it is recommended to either rinse or soak the meat prior to use, and then pat it dry.

yogabird

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 11:39 pm
I just made up this recipe for tomato cabbage soup last week, and it was a big hit.

Sautee 1 diced onion and about 6-10 cloves of garlic sliced. Add 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can tomato sauce, a large bag of shredded white cabbage and as much water as you think it needs. Season with some red wine vinegar and cook for about an hour.

This makes about 6-8 servings.

eschaya

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 11:53 pm
Split pea meat soup

Slice and saute onions, carrots and celery. Add beef cubes and marrow bones and brown. Add 1 package split peas and about a 1/4 package barley, then fill pot with water. Add a few generous shakes of salt and garlic powder. Cook for at least 3 hours.

rdmom

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 12:52 am
Creamy corn soup

1/2 onion, chopped
1clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1 cup chicken broth (water and soup mix is fine)
2 (12 ounce) cans whole kernel corn
2 1/2 tablespoons cream cheese
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

In a large pot over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic, and butter or margarine. Saute for about 5 minutes, or until onions are tender.
Add the flour, stirring well, to make a pasty mixture. Whisk in the milk and the broth. Add the corn and the cream cheese and allow to heat through. Add the , black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. Stir together and serve.

I like to blend the whole thing into a thicker soup. Whoever I gave this recipe to went absolutely crazy. It is delicious. My kids beg for it.

Just got this recipe recently from a neighbor of mine and it is a huge hit with my family.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 1:41 am
Oh stoppit, now I need soup.
My favorite go-to soup recipes are from overtimecook.com - the split pea one and the creamy orange one (similar to the butternut squash with sweet potatoes and carrots mentioned above, but I like her recipe better than the one I had before)

Teomima

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 2:02 am
My favorite is a very simplified version of Kosher Pallet's Beet Tomato Bisque. But a VERY simplified version. I roughly chop 1 onion, 2 big beets, about 6 tomatoes and 4 carrots, toys them in a pot, add water till not quite covered, cook till soft, add salt and blend with the immersion blender till mostly smooth but a little chunky. That's it. Delicious hot but even better cold.

cuffs

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 4:09 am
Best veggie soup! Such simple ingredients but so delicious! No recipe
3-4 zucchini
2-3 carrots
Onion
Sweet potatoe
White potatoe if you want,
Garlic to taste
Water just to cover
Cook veggies
Purée soup with hand blender
Simmer
Spice to taste
I add salt, black pepper, onion powder
Freezes great!

pumpernickle

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 9:45 am
Every week I try to create a different soup. But a couple of weeks ago it was just awesome and my family has been begging for more on a daily basis. It freezes well so make a big pot. Plus, its sooo easy that I think I should title it lazy woman's soup.

Minestrone inspired soup

2 bags minestrone ready pack soup mix
2 zuchinnis diced
1 bag california frozen vegetable mix (or any frozen mix u have)
1 bag stir fry frozen mix (or any frozen mix u have)
2 frozen garlic cubes
2 frozen parsley cubes
Cover in water and cook for. 2-3 hours
Add salt and black pepper to tast, then puree with immersion blender.

Then; slice in a pack of chicken franks and let it cook untill swollen!!! (Id say abt 10 minutes stiring occassionally.

The franks give an awesome taste to the soup and all ages love it.

Enjoy!!

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 1:31 pm
This is really good. It's a bit different but not so different that it will scare people :-) its just got a slightly Asian twist. I think Pagoda is a famous restaurant in London but I'm not sure.

I use an immersion stick blender for soups which makes it so much easier than dealing with pouring hot liquids.

Carl's Pagoda-Inspired Tomato Soup
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 spanish onion, roughly chopped
8 medium tomatoes, 8-10 medium beefsteak
3 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon scotch bonnet chiles, 1/2 to 1 teaspoons scotch bonnet, jalapeno, or Thai chile pepper
1/4 cup sugar, (white)
1/4 cup chopped scallion, greens for garnish
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, leaves for garnish

Directions:

Place a large skillet over medium-high flame and when it is hot, add the oil. Add the onions, tomatoes, ginger, and garlic, stirring well after each addition, and cook until the onions and garlic are lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Add the soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, chile, and sugar, stirring after each addition, and cook until slightly reduced, about 15 minutes.

Transfer the soup to a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until smooth, Strain and discard the seeds and pulp. Reheat if necessary.

Garnish each serving with scallions and cilantro.

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 1:46 pm
Persian New Year's Noodle Soup

Serves 6 to 8

1/2 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight in 2 to 3 cups water, rinsed, and drained
1/2 cup navy beans, soaked overnight in 2 to 3 cups water, rinsed, and drained
1/2 cup kidney beans, soaked overnight in 2 to 3 cups water, rinsed, and drained
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon turmeric, ground
1 teaspoon cumin, ground
1 poblano chili, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
8 to 10 cups vegetable broth (low sodium if possible)
5 cups fresh spinach, washed and chopped
1/2 pound linguine, broken in half
1 cup parsley, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (more to taste)
1/3 cup chopped fresh dill (more to taste)
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven medium heat. Add the onions, turmeric, and cumin. Sauté the onions until they're very soft, golden, and fragrant (8 to 10 minutes).

Add the garlic and chili, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant but not browning.

Add the chickpeas, navy beans, kidney beans, and lentils, along with the salt and broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, and reduce it to a simmer. Simmer for an hour, with the lid of the pot on but slightly ajar to let steam out, until the beans are tender (this may take up to 80 minutes).

Add an extra cup of broth. Add the spinach and linguine. Simmer until the linguine is tender but slightly al dente (10 minutes). Add the herbs and allow them to simmer for a minute before tasting the soup and adjusting seasonings.

Stir in the lemon juice. Serve the soup with a generous dollop of cashew cream or a drizzle of olive oil. Leftovers will keep for up to five days, and can be frozen for up to four weeks.

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 2:49 pm
This is super easy.

Tortellini, White Bean, and Spinach Soup

Cooking Light

Serving Size : 6

1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
3 cloves garlic -- minced
2 cups spinach -- coarsely chopped
2/3 cup water
16 ounces navy beans -- drained
14 1/2 ounces vegetable broth
14 1/2 Ounces no-salt-added whole tomatoes -- undrained and chopped
14 1/2 ounces canned artichoke hearts -- quartered
9 ounces cheese tortellini -- uncooked
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, bell pepper, seasoning, and garlic; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add spinach and next 5 ingredients (spinach through artichokes); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes. Add tortellini; cook until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with cheese.

queenert

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 3:33 pm
This one's incredible though not sure how well it freezes.

Mushroom Soup

2 pounds of mushrooms, sliced
2 medium onions, sliced
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 cloves of garlic, minced*
3 cups of milk
2 tablespoons mushroom soup mix
1 cup of water
¼ cup of red wine*

In a large soup pot, sauté the mushrooms and onions in the butter until tender. Sprinkle in the flour, salt, pepper, and garlic. Slowly add in the milk, soup mix, water, and wine. Stir and bring to a boil. (Add more milk/water if the consistency is too thick.) Immersion blend if you wish. Enjoy!

*Approximated amount

Redbird

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 5:50 pm
Ingredients: Zucchini, water, and salt.

optional to add garlic power and chopped onion.

I love this recipe because its almost no work.

I just cut the zucchini into large chunks (abot 5-6 pieces is good for a large one), and I leave the peel on. Put all the ingredients in a pot, NOT enough water to cover the zucchini. boil for 30-45 minutes, and blend with in immersion blender.

Its even better if you mix in milk, and garnish with parmesan when you serve.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics