Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Guest Closet looks awful w upper level of hanging clothing

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 4:21 pm
I am short on closet space. How do I store summer clothing in winter, and winter clothing in summer, without burying it in the basement somewhere, and then forgetting about clothing I have.

I put another rod on top of my guest closet thats in my entrance hall, but the clothing hanging down looks awful when the guest closet door gets opened.

Any ideas? WWYD?

L K

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 5:01 pm
Would it help to hang them all on identical slim hangers to create a neat look?

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 5:26 pm
L K wrote:
Would it help to hang them all on identical slim hangers to create a neat look?
Not really, its a bunch of hems of all lengths. Im thinking to keep the stuff in neat piles in baskets instead of hanging.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 5:34 pm
It's only a guest closet. Your guests will be grateful to have any hanging space at all--many hosts don't provide any--and will hardly be criticizing your long-term storage. They MIGHT admire you ingenuity in creating more hanging space above rather than below the original rod. However, if the sight of uneven hems really offends you, invest in some zippered garment bags like this: http://www.taylorgifts.com/ite.....VgLNA

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 5:44 pm
zaq wrote:
It's only a guest closet.

Its the closet in the entrance hall, seen by everyone who walks in, if we take their coat.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 6:17 pm
What's the problems with storing in the basement? It just means twice a year going up and down with all your clothing and doing a switch.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 6:46 pm
amother wrote:
What's the problems with storing in the basement? It just means twice a year going up and down with all your clothing and doing a switch.

I hear you, but its so much easier if I decide to wear something from a different season, to get it from my apartment and not go downstairs. Also, Ill probably forget what I have in the basement.

busydev

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 6:46 pm
try vacuum bags? they have hanging vacuum bags too. but ot sure what the problem with the basement is. make sure every box is clearly labelled and before you go shopping fir the new season, take stock.

SingALong

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 7:56 pm
Is there a shelf on top of the top rod? If so, would your clothing fit into boxes folded on that top shelf? Maybe even if you can put only 1/2 of the stuff into boxes on top the whole closet will still look neater with less stuff. I got some very pretty fabric folding closet bins for very cheap, put them on that top most shelf in a closet it looks great. I put the things I rarely use in there ie extra pillow, extra blanket for the occasional guest. If you only put some clothing into such boxes, try leaving hanging clothing from all the same length so it looks more uniform when you open your closet.

yksraya

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 8:01 pm
Is there place for another shelf or 2 in any other closet, sometimes by adding to empty closet space another shelf, you gain space to store a box or 2 of last season stuff.

5mom

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 9:39 pm
How about a curtain in front of the top part of the closet?

Swissmiss

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 9:45 pm
We had one room that had no closet so we bought a mini armoire but there was still very little hanging space. This is what I did it works well!
You can double up on shirt hangers by putting a rubber band on one and hanging another hanger through the rubber band....

For skirts you can get those quadruple skirt hangers (multiple skirt hangers?) all on Amazon

imeinu

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 11:04 pm
try hanging the items in order of length shortest to longest. It will be more pleasing on the eyes.
Another idea might be to hang whatever fits lower down, so its not right in your face when you open the closet and use the higher rods for coats.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 7:47 pm
Basements tend to be damp and have poor ventilation, and clothes stored there tend to develop an unpleasant mildewy smell. I don't recommend storing clothing or linens down there, even in airtight plastic containers. Odors travel on a molecular level right through plastic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics