Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nurse with burnout

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 12:22 pm
I've been a nurse for over 15 years and I think I am now suffering burnout. I cannot face another day of work. Everyday is a struggle to get out of bed, to go in. I used to be cheery and now it takes everything I've got to make eye contact.

I've suffering some stomach issues due to chronic stress, but otherwise I'm healthy. In other words, I have no biological reason for this burnout. I am told this can happen in the helping field. I never thought it would happen to me.

I feel like such a failure. I cannot quit my job because we rely on my income, though DH works, too. I want to fix myself, somehow fix this burnout. Any ideas?

Jeanette

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 12:29 pm
Can you find another job in a different area of nursing? Sometimes a change of pace/scenery is all you need.

flmommy

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 12:29 pm
I feel your pain. I Had the same problem and BH was able to stop working and switch to a lower stress but lower paying field. Can you switch nursing jobs to maybe a new specialty or something less stressful but still in your field? Is your stress from working nights, long shifts, mean bosses, crazy patients, seeing sick kids??? All of the above?

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 12:30 pm
I am not a nurse but I work with nurses though so I could give you ideas of other nursing areas that might be less stressful if you think that would help you. A lot of the nurses I work with complain about this and many try to get a more desk oriented job after that many years.

Nicole

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 12:40 pm
You can pm me.

mille

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 5:51 pm
Jeanette wrote:
Can you find another job in a different area of nursing? Sometimes a change of pace/scenery is all you need.

I agree, especially if you are in a hospital setting now! There are a lot of 9-5 type nursing jobs that pay less, but are also much less stress and may help with the burnout.

nywife

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 6:22 pm
mille wrote:
I agree, especially if you are in a hospital setting now! There are a lot of 9-5 type nursing jobs that pay less, but are also much less stress and may help with the burnout.

To add to what she said, there's a huge field now for nurse educators and for nursing professors. If that's up your alley it's may be worth looking into.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 7:50 pm
A lot of healthcare management jobs require you to be an RN, and pay even more than the typical unit nurse position.

justforfun87

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 9:24 pm
Are you on the Facebook group for orthodox nurses? If you are doing floor nursing consider doing public health, school nursing, or care management. You can even work remotely for insurance companies as an advice nurse. You have years of experience.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics