Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Edible olive oil

glamourmom

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 12:51 pm
I know lots of pple cook with olive oil and I would love to replace regular oil with that. my question is if there is edible olive oil and then burning olive oil (like what you use on chanuka) or are they one and the same? and how do I know the difference in the store?

water_bear88

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 1:23 pm
Food-grade olive oil is usually somewhat more expensive (at least in Israel, I'd assume the same in the States). Non-food-grade doesn't have quite the same regulations.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 1:41 pm
There's a whole section ususally with edible olive oil ...Bertolli Olive Oil, and the kosher brands make as well...there are numerous brands in any supermarket. Note , you may not like the strong taste of it, so there is "extra mild" which has a lighter flavor...do not use the menorah oil for food (I've done it once or twice and it tasted rancid...was gross, than I found out that it's not good to eat that stuff)

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:04 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
...do not use the menorah oil for food (I've done it once or twice and it tasted rancid...was gross, than I found out that it's not good to eat that stuff)

Right. But it is OK to use food grade olive oil in a menorah.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:36 pm
Most olive oil at the store is food grade. In the Jewish stores you'll find olive oil by Leiber's, Gefen.

In general stores you'll find olive oil by Bertolli, Filippo Berio.

Regular olive oil will specially say extra virgin olive oil, extra light olive oil, cold pressed olive oil. (Your best bet when swapping olive oil in regular recipes that call for high heat is extra light olive oil as it's most similar to regular vegetable oil but still has the healthful olive oil properties.)

The lighting oil from the Jewish companies say olive oil for candlelighting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen