Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Job choice - vent!
Previous  1  2

kb

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 1:13 pm
Job 2 doesn't mean you're stuck there forever. It means that at this point in your life it works better for the life you want to run

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 1:27 pm
I did not do the math because either way I am pretty sure it ends up about equal, and there is also so much inconsistency with these fee-for-service jobs (cancellations, etc) that I have seen from experience that you need to choose something that has the potential to be a good income but beyond that it's really min hashamayim, you never know the exact dollars and cents. I usually end up at some points stressed that it's not working out enough and then at the end of the year I see that it all evened out somehow. I am slowly slowly learning to stop stressing over money, just do something that basically makes sense and then trust in Hashem.

I ended up making a totally impulsive coin-flip style decision to go with job #1. (just for your reference, I am typing that with the kind of flourish and lights and bells of the game show host revealing what was behind door #3. for your entertainment. LOL ) The supervisor there called me first, she did not apply any pressure, told me if I need a couple of hours to make sure that's fine... but I know from the past two days that a couple more hours is not going to change anything. Also, in the same conversation I told her that - I said I am just totally torn and the only thing that will help is maybe more details. So we discussed the cases briefly and it seems that they will not require a lot of extra work and home preparation for me. I also took a little ego trip when she said that she did have another applicant but would rather have me. Which is probably not the right reason to sign over all my daytime hours to this but...lol.

So now I am just hoping for the best...and looking for nice comfortable but professional looking hats so I don't need to wear a sheitel every day. Look out for another exciting imamother thread coming soon to a computer near you.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 3:41 pm
Good luck!!!

I hope it works out. Smile

What about a fall? I've never worn one but they look easier to handle then a sheitel. (and cheaper)

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 4:10 pm
A fall is a definite possibility. New wig wasn't really on my shopping list but... The only thing is I am makpid to cover all my hair (as much as I can, some always flies out because my hair is like that...) and I think falls look weird without some hair in the front. No disrespect to people who wear them that way, it's just my preference.

I am having such anxiety about this now... so afraid that I have taken on more than I can handle... I guess we'll see... hoping for the best... but meanwhile it's not helping that the other person (who really did go out of her way to make my application go through and match me with a suitable case) is really mad at me for dumping her after that. I wrote a long apologetic email but I don't think it helped... (I had tried calling but got voicemail, if I wasn't going to get her in person anyway I figured I could do it better by email than voicemail) I feel really bad having done that, Job #1 hadn't invested as much - they were very kind in offering to make the schedule work for me but they weren't going to actually do it until I came through with a commitment. It's just a different nature of the work - with job #1 they had the clients and needed someone to take them on in any case, with job #2 they only accept clients when they already have enough staff to handle them. So job #2 is now left with a client that they need to find people to work with, while job #1 if I had said no in the end they would have been no worse off than before and they even had others lined up to apply (I am more qualified than the others but they would not have been left in a bind.)

I need to do what works for me but still feel like I could/should have handled this better, maybe by not jumping after both simultaneously, or at least deciding beforehand which one I preferred in case of acceptance by both. I feel guilty for having done that to agency #2, and also kind of bummed for myself that by her reaction it seems like I did burn that bridge even though I tried not to. I had been hoping that worst case scenario if after a few months Job #1 is not working out, I could back down at that point and hope that company #2 still wants me. I think they are going to view me suspiciously now.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics