Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
You received a empty card at your simcha
Previous  1  2

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 7:43 am
amother wrote:
I got a card as a gift from a friend. An empty card, just as you describe. I was taken aback. How hard is it to give a small token gift? She got married within a year later and I took the high road and gave her a gift. Why be petty? She either forgot or felt she couldn't afford it. Whatever. I wanted her friendship more than whatever piece of junk she would have given me anyway.

So many people walked into our simcha without gifts. Iy"h I will be returning to many simchas this year. I will feel like an ATM machine just continuing to write out checks as gifts. I have given so many of these people gifts over the years.

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 7:55 am
Cut them off.

Why should you do anything nice for them when they didn't give you the gift you deserve on your special day?

Save your energy for the people who express their caring with the green stuff, because that's what really counts in this world, right?

(The above is not meant to be taken at face value, in case anyone was confused).

chani8

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 7:55 am
The way it's looked at here in Israel, as my adult kids explained to me, is that you give at least enough to cover your meal, your night out. At least (gift)pay for the food you ate!

In charedi communities here, you give hachnasos kallah to whomever is raising for the family, and a gift if you are close. Money envelopes are not expected.

chani8

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 8:01 am
imasinger wrote:
Cut them off.

Why should you do anything nice for them when they didn't give you the gift you deserve on your special day?

Save your energy for the people who express their caring with the green stuff, because that's what really counts in this world, right?

(The above is not meant to be taken at face value, in case anyone was confused).

Had to read this twice. Not used to sarcasm from you. Wink

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 5:40 pm
imasinger wrote:
Cut them off.

We knew that.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:44 pm
I grew up poor and in college when my friends were getting married I really had no money. Somehow I managed to always scrape together a gift. Some people you can understand, but to just send a blank card or walk in empty handed? I could never do it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics