Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Training stubborn toddler

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 9:33 pm
my son will be three in february. he is the youngest in his class so he is aware of the concept of underwear, going to toliet etc. he is zero interest in going though. I took him to grocery store and told him he can pick out any candy he wants and hell get after he goes potty. he said mommy I dont want candy...now this is a kid who loves candy. I am so ready to be finished with diapers. do I wait or do I push him...any advice for training stubnorn kids

Pamela

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 9:55 pm
Try this book it's called Oh **** potty training by jamie glowaki. It worked for my stubborn kid

nnmom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:05 pm
I was in the same boat as you a few months ago!
I would say firstly, just because he didn't want the candy today doesn't mean he doesn't want it next week. We bought him a candy if his choosing, put it in the cabinet where he could see (but out of reach). A few days went by and he was willing to try.
Secondly, he will train on his timeline. The fact that you are tired of diapers doesn't mean he is. He will get it. Make sure the potty is in the washroom, throw in a couple of potty books in the reading repertoire. Keep yourself cool and casual.

My little one did it right around his third birthday (almost a year after my daughter). He got it pretty quick because he was older.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 7:13 am
My very strong willed daughter basically just trained herself at 3yrs and 1 month. She has been "ready" for about 3-4 months but I didn't want to turn it into a power struggle so we waited. One day she showed more interest and went twice at home and once at school on the toilet. The next morning we gave her underwear and she is done. Without a fight 😊

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 8:57 am
I always wait until they are ready its much easier and they hardly have accidents

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 9:23 am
amother wrote:
I always wait until they are ready its much easier and they hardly have accidents
This. You can save yourself a lot of aggravation if you wait, and I believe it's better for the kid as well, so that toilet training doesn't become a fight.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 9:35 am
Most boys are not ready till almost 3,and quite a few don't do it till even a little after. If he's willing to forgo something that usually means a lot to him, that's as good as stating "I'm not ready". Shelve it for now. Try again in 2 or 3 weeks. I'm another one whose son didn't want to until a little after 3,but when he did, the process took 2 days and very few accidents.
Be aware as well that it's not uncommon for training to happen in stages. He might go #1 no problem but take a little longer to be trained in #2. And most kids train for daytime long before nighttime. It's not uncommon for those two milestones to even be separated by a few years. Just take each stage as it comes and don't pressure.

chocolatecake

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 9:42 am
When you mean ready you mean your kid actually walked over to you and said mommy I want to make on the toliet?

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 9:48 am
either they said they wanted to go or I asked them and they wanted

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 9:52 am
No he doesn't have to say it directly. But look at how he reacts when you bring it up. If you get him to sit, look at whether he's comfortable and happy to be there. Things like that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training