Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Seattle community
Previous  1  2

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 11:43 am
amother wrote:
There was a struggle to remain frum at the Northwest Yeshiva High School, but I imagine that it would be the same struggle as if I had gone to any of the MO, co-ed schools in the NYC area

I have to disagree with you here. Northwest Yeshiva high school has gotten worse rather than better. They are NOT modern orthodox!! They are a mix between conservative, reform and orthodox. They have judaic teachers from all those secs teaching judiasm. They get a lot of funding from the reform and do a lot of catering to them. In my day it was modern orthodox. Now I wouldn't even call it that.

Anyway, nowadays there is a girls' high school with 15 students, expecting to have more like 25 or 30 students in two more years. I imagine that the adolescent experience is really very different there.

This school just started this year.

From my visits back home, I get the impression that the generation raising kids in Seattle now is less "out-of-towny" than my parents' generation that was raising me; it's more halachically observant, not quite as many baalei teshuva.

This has been true the past few years but just last year many of the "seattle yeshivish" have moved out. I also have teenage siblings still in Seattle and no matter how much it has moved right, there are major issues

My comment on the high school was clearly only referring to when I attended it, early 2000s.

The girl's high school will be graduating seniors this spring who have been attending for 4 years.

wiki

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 11:47 am
About the political views, the Jewish community is cool because there is a pretty even split between Republicans and Democrats. People are (close!) friends across party lines.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
It is not the community that is Chait's. NYHS [the high school] is Chaits like a small group in Florida. They don't believe in Hashgacha Pratis or connecting to Hashem with emotions [only intellect]. It is not mainstream.

Though with Rabbi Fox retiring now, who knows? (Can we hope?)

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 2:23 pm
amother wrote:
My comment on the high school was clearly only referring to when I attended it, early 2000s.

The girl's high school will be graduating seniors this spring who have been attending for 4 years.

It could be I'm wrong about the girls high school. I don't know to much about it. I'm surprised it has been around for 4 years. A married sibling of mine that just moved away mentioned it in passing like it was a very new thing.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating